1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Infected ingrown toenail.........

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My ingrown toenail is obviously infected.... The inside skin came out because it got swollen and when i take off my band-aid .. puss comes out and sometimes blood....
    I didnt go to a doctor yet because it doesnt hurt that much and i was scared to go see a doctor... I'm scared that the surgery might hurt a lot...and i cant stand things that hurt...
    PLEASE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.....

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I WOULD ADVISE THAT YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TREAT THIS SOLELY BY YOURSELF. If you can't stand things that hurt, then that's all the more reason for seeing a doctor. Infections are not to be fooled with. They don't always stay local and you can be looking for way more problems than pain. I would recommend that you see a podiatrist rather than a GP, as many GP's simply do not have the experience and knowledge to deal with this situation most effectively. Too often, they will simply prescribe and antibiotic and send you on your way. Proper treatment general requires a temporary removal of the ingrowing segment to allow for drainage of the infectious material. This can be done under local anesthesia, and a doctor skilled in administering this sort of anesthesia, as most podiatrists are, can do it with minimal discomfort to the patient. Generally, the patient is then placed on soaks and sterile dressing and sometimes antibiotics, especially if the patient has certain medical problems such as diabetes or poor circulation. Then he/she should return in several days at which time a permanent procedure to correct the ingrown nail problem should be considered if the infection is resolved.