1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Matching feet

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Chris, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am 57 years old and have a bad bunion and associated mis-alignment of my big toe as well as the adjacent toes on the right foot. However, ther is a lesser degree of malformation on the left foot, which is not causing me any problems. My consultant has advised against an operation as he considers the right foot would be too difficult to correct. My question is, could the surgery be aimed at achieving symmetry with the left foot, rather than trying to make it perfect. This would presumably involve less radical surgery, at least to the extent of the lesser level of re-alignment required. In other words, if the right foot has the big toe mis-aligned at 30 degrees (with lesser mis-alignment of the adjacent toes) and the left foot has the big toe misaligned at 20 degrees (also with some mis-alignment of the adjacent toes), would it not be possible to attempt realignment by only 10 degrees (to match the left foot) rather than 30 degrees (to make it straight). What I'm being told at the moment is that an operation is not recommended because the deformity is too great. Compared to what?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I take it by your use of the words, "my consultant" that you are from the U.K. and under their National Health Insurance. I can't say that this has anything to do with it, but have you ever considered the fact that those who get paid the same whether they provide services or not, both in countries where doctors work for the government and patients do not have to pay for services, and in the U.S. in situations where doctors are on salary and not on a fee for service basis, such as in HMO's, often are less willing to provide extensive, costly and time-consuming services? It may, however, really be that your doctor's judgment is correct that the cure would be worse than the disease, but dollars to donuts, if he/she were on a fee for service basis, the judgment might be different, assuming the surgery was appropriate but totally elective. Of course, this takes a rather dark view of the situation which may be entirely untrue, but I offer it merely as grist for the thought-mill.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks Foot Doc. Doesn't really answer my question about the principle of matching feet rather than aiming for full correction, i.e. compared to what? For what its worth, the orthopaedic surgeon is working in the private sector so would have stood to make money from the operation.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Unless your doctor is advising against surgery because he/she doesn't have the skill to pull it off or doesn't think that it would work out or that you wouldn't be able to tolerate it or that your subjective symptoms do not justify it, I cannot understand why a competent surgeon would not perform an otherwise warranted procedure just because it is difficult. Certainly, not all surgeries work out as hoped, and if you would be satisfied with improvement but not perfection, I can't see why that could not be a plan.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for your advice - pretty well what I thought, but appreciate the confirmation.