1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Nerve biopsy for no movement in little toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Patty, May 15, 2010.

1. Patty

Patty New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am to have a nerve biopsy to see if they can determine why my little toes on both feet won't move. Every other test so far is negative and this is more or less a last resort type of test.

Here are my questions: Has anybody had a nerve biopsy test, and what is your experience with it? Is there anything I can research as I am not finding much info out there. Has anybody had anything similar and recovered?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I assume by little toes, you mean your 5th toes. This sounds totally ridiculous to me for a bunch of reasons:

1. If, in fact, you could isolate it to a nerve problem, and I doubt that, as both feet are affected, the problem would have to be high and remote from the toe, and if that were the case, you would have other major deficits in motor function for muscles served by that major nerve.

2. How would your doctor know at what level of the nerve the biopsy should be done?

3. Other than wiggle your toes, what could you possibly do that you can't do now if you could move your 5th toes as you think you should?

4. What were the other tests that you mentioned that were negative?

3. Patty

Patty New Member

1. Yes, I mean the fifth toe.

2. How would your doctor know at what level of the nerve the biopsy should be done? I don't know what level she plans to test but the test is supposed to tell if the nerves are damaged and or if the damage is from the muscle or the nerve.

3. Other than wiggle your toes, what could you possibly do that you can't do now if you could move your 5th toes as you think you should? I cannot spread my fourth and fifth toes on both feet. I cannot wiggle them. It doesn't hurt but I do have tingling down both legs.

4. What were the other tests that you mentioned that were negative? The following tests were negative: rheumatoid arthritis, sacadoisis (?)--lung ex ray taken; no diabetes, normal nutrition results; MRI of back showed no pinched nerve, etc.; EMG and nerve conduction test showed some neuropathy of toe

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

This STILL makes no sense to me. Apparently you have no other symptoms of motor disorders elsewhere or you surely would have mentioned them. Sarcoidosis CAN affect the nervous system, but it would not have a predilection for the neural control of only the muscles moving the 5th toes. The same for nutritional deficiencies and diabetes except diabetic neuropathies are generally sensory, not motor neuropathies. Tingling is a sensory manifestation and has nothing to do with the absence of motor function. And in the end, you state that you are going through this simply to be able to spread your 4th and 5th toes. I don't see it.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had problems with my toes not moving and it was a problem with the lateral plantar nerve being compressed. It was not a big deal, but I also had coexisting tibial nerve compressions and peroneal nerve compressions (at seperate times). I have had a total of all major nerves in my feet surgically released over the three years and they are just beginning to talk about a nerve biopsy after going through diagnostics at two major teaching hospitals. No movement in little toes to me would not be worth the risk of a nerve biopsy.

6. KATT1430

KATT1430 Guest

I am having the same issues but only on my left foot. I cannot move my 5th toe at all yet there is no pain. I do get numbness and tingling in both legs when I sit for even a very short time in one position. I am 38 and very thin. I have not had any tests done whatsoever...yet. I lose my balance often and have even fallen down while just standing still. I had had my ulnar nerve in my left arm severed at the mid forearm range about 20 years ago and had corrective surgery. In the last 2 days it has started to hurt severely in the hand area of my pinky. Could this be related? Should I get a test done and who would I see? A neurologist?

Thank you for any answer and I am sorry for 'hijacking" the thread.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It is perfectly proper for anyone who has a problem or a question regarding a problem which he/she deems similar to one posed in someone else's thread to join the thread. You list a number of problems, some of which might be connected, but that would have to be determined by hands-on evaluation. A neurologist would probably be a good place to start, but you might eventually require a neurosurgeon for one or more of the problems. Severing of the ulnar nerve in your arm would have no bearing on your present foot and balance complaints.

8. barry

barry Guest

My toes would never move-100%immobile for the past 50 years. I was paralyzed with polio as a child but recovered and assumed that the cause. Recently had lower back surgery/fusion and now my toes wiggle like a champ! Go figure.