foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Stiff-soled shoes?

Old 13th June 2010, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Default Stiff-soled shoes?

My orthopod recently cleared me to begin walking with a 'stiff-soled' shoe (recovering from 5th metatarsal fracture). I tried to elicit examples from him and he described the 'olden days' where shoes would have a steel shank inserted between the sole and the inner-sole/liner. He stated that since these are no longer common, or easy to find, I should just look for shoes with a thick, hard sole. He didn't, or wouldn't, offer me any brand or style examples other than that.

Does anyone have any experience with a brand or style that may have stiffer soles? I realize that I will ultimately need to go to a store and try things on, but I'm just looking for a little direction before I start running around my town (and still in my walking boot!). I'm really glad to be getting back into shoes since it means I will be able to drive again, but I do not want to jeopardize my foot healing getting set back. As a woman, I am also assuming that something with a flat-to-minimal heel would be best?
Old 21st June 2010, 04:18 PM
Unregistered 2

Default Re: Stiff-soled shoes?

I have the same issue. I have been wearing Dasko Clogs and they seem to work the best for me but it is the summer and i can't wear them with shorts so I am trying to find something else. Anyway...ideas??
Sponsored Links
Old 12th July 2010, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Stiff-soled shoes?

My doctor recommended the anti-gravity line by Easy Spirit, Dansko flat sandals or the Skechers with the unflexible soles (shape ups maybe?)