1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Still can't walk after 2 months, need help

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by mayu314, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mayu314

mayu314 Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello, I am 22 and injured my foot 2months ago playing basketball. I landed on my heel it felt like and just felt a shock through my foot. It was swelled up the size of a grapefruit the next few days, so i went to the hospital and they just gave me crutches and referred me to a bone doctor.

So, i had to wait like 3 weeks for health care, then i went to get an x-ray and an MRI and finally saw a foot doctor . he said the MRI showed no tendons or ligaments torn and the X-ray seemed normal. He told me it was really wierd that i couldn't walk still and he wasn't really sure what was wrong, so he put me in a cast for 2 weeks and told me if i can walk to start walking on it, and said a fracture could possibly show when i come back and get it x-ray'd again.

now I've been in this cast a week and still when i put pressure on the foot its hurts, and i get sharp pains in my heel area throughout the day. So i still can't walk and have no answers.

The pain is mainly from the inner (ball shaped ) area of the ankle to the upper heel area. mainly the inner back area of my foot.

if anyone has any idea what the problem might be , or knows any injuries like this that don't show up on mri , I would really appreciate the help, i just need answers. Thanks

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I can't think of any rationale or excuse for not seeing a patient with a possible compression injury of the calcaneus for 3 weeks. Fractures of the heel are often difficult to determine and often take a really knowledgeable reader of x-rays. There may possibly be a stress fracture or an osseous contusion or even ankle damage, but those are just guesses, as you have offered no real details about the mechanism of injury. I can't see as anyone here or elsewhere without benefit of examination can offer you any meaningful help. Expectations of obtaining answers on which one might rely under these conditions would be unreasonable.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I can't think of any rationale or excuse for not seeing a patient with a possible compression injury of the calcaneus for 3 weeks. Fractures of the heel are often difficult to determine and often take a really knowledgeable reader of x-rays. There may possibly be a stress fracture or an osseous contusion or even ankle damage, but those are just guesses, as you have offered no real details about the mechanism of injury. I can't see as anyone here or elsewhere without benefit of examination can offer you any meaningful help. Expectations of obtaining answers on which one might rely under these conditions would be unreasonable.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thanks for your help doc,
    I guess it might be a heel fracture, most of the pain is coming from pressure on the heel alone, i cant extend my foot neither upwards or downwards completely. sometimes i accidentally stretched my foot while i was sleeping and there would be a really sharp pain for a couple minutes. i can push outwards with the foot but not inwards all the way.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would really encourage you to not continue attempting to obtain either diagnostic or treatment advice on the Internet and to stick with only doctors who actually have the ability to examine you and who will take actual responsibility for your care. In the end, that may well be less costly, both in terms of finances and health. I REFUSE to offer shoot-from-the-hip advice, but I can assure you that there are many out there in cyberspace, both professionals and lay persons who are more than willing to do so, and even more questioners who essentially demand it. Beware what you ask for, as you may well get it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009