foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Swollen itchy toes

Old 27th June 2010, 07:03 AM
mumofthree

Angry Swollen itchy toes

When I took my work shoes off the other night, the 2nd and 3rd toes on my left foot became incredibly itchy and swelled up. The top of the foot is also swollen.
When I wake in the morning it is the worst. They are red, tight, swollen, and very itchy. During the day once i get moving they feel a little better and the itchy can be forgotten but they are still swollen and you can feel how tight the skin is when walking.
They get a sore/itchy feeling when I squeeze on the joint. They feel better cold.
I have to wear socks/tights and enclosed shoes for 12 hour shifts.
I haven't had chance to scan the forum yet so forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere!!
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 29th June 2010, 06:17 AM
Unregistered

Angry Re: Swollen itchy toes

I was thinking i had some kind of strange foot problem how crazy this is some one else that has the same issue this is very irritating please some one help us . please some one give a way to stop it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th November 2010, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Swollen itchy toes

There are a number of possible causes for such a problem, depending on your ages and whatnot.
It could just be a toe sprain with damage to the ligaments - you mentioned about wearing enclosed shoes could have damaged it? But if you were them quite regularly probably less likely.
Or more serious could be an allergic reaction, use of a different washing powder/liquid or whatever, different sock/tights brand.
Could be an infection, whether bacterial of fungal (atheletes foot for example).
If it is inflammed then it suggests an immune response to something your body doesn't like, so will be doing its best to get rid of it. If you find a cut in or around your swollen area then that is your most likely cause.
If you find you get cramping in your legs/feet could be that the veins in your legs aren't pumping the blood in your legs/feet very well and you get a pool of blood in your lower limbs, which could lead to swollen toes.
Could be gout, which is painful crystallised uric acid deposits in the joints in your body, more commonly the feet and hands.
Thrombosis another possbility, which is a blood clot in the foot.
Could be an insect bite.
If you are taking medications certain ones can have side effects, and that be the cause.

If the symptoms don't ease up in a few days you should speak to your GPs.
Alternatively NSAIDs (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen will clear up the inflammation almost right away.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:30 PM
Unregistered

Cool Re: Swollen itchy toes

im only a teenager so i dnt think i can get gout or corns yet...(i hope). but iv noticed my toes at the joints started to swell and bruise a purplish color. they itch if anything touches them. its only at the top of my feet and the swelling and miscoloration has not improved for the past 2 months. It started with one toe then later stared to affect some of my other toes including my big toes. Its almost like someone glued hard, swollen bumps at the joints of my toes and I don't know how to fix it. ...plus its getting worse since the weather is cold now. They dnt really hurt or anything, but its still freaking me out.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

Sounds like you have Chilblains, its caused by the constriction of blood vessels in the toes and sometimes the fingers and nose, with abrupt changes in weather conditions those i.e going from a hot temperature to a lower one, blood vessels become damaged causing inflammation and ulcers/blisters can develop.
There are easy ways to combact such a problem, such as wearing thick warmer socks, as well as getting creams from the chemist.
Nelson's Chilblains cream in particular is quite good.
Old 19th December 2011, 06:22 PM
Unregistered

I suffer from Chilbains and its terrible. You wake up in the middle of the night, toes all itchy and its impossible to fall asleep from there. One way to treat Chilbains I discovered is to soak your feet in ginger water.

So just buy some ginger from the supermarket, slice them up, put them in a pot of water and boil it up as if you are making some soup. Medium heat for around 30 mins and its ready (the water will have pale yellow colour to it), pour it out and let it stand for a bit till its warm. Then soak your feet for around 20-30 mins. Do it for a few days and the itchiness should go away.

Yes the itchiness could return as winter goes colder/if you cant keep yourself warm, but this is an effective method to go with if you don't want to be using cream/want to treat it in a natural way.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:10 AM
zemi23

Cool Re: Swollen itchy toes

I agree that is may be Chilblains. I had them so bad when I was 14 that I itched until I got scabs :| When I asked my doctor, he said that it's a combination of sudden temperature changes to cold and a lack of circulation. They are more common amongst elderly, sedentary (couch potatoes, haha) and teenagers. Probably 'cause they're less active.

What helped me out the most, for the itch, was cocoa butter. It warms my toes and reduces the itch. Another thing that I was told to do was to soak in warm water, or ginger water that was mentioned above. Also, I notice it feels good to wiggle my toes or run in place to get the blood pumping and bring some warmth to my feet.

Well, I hope this helps out who ever needs it :>
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:17 AM
zemi23

Arrow Re: Swollen itchy toes

One more thing that makes it worse, if you have tight shoes, I would keep them off as much as possible. The pressing on the skin can make it more sensitive and irritates already swollen toes. Also, when they are swollen they tend to get really hot and that cause sweat.
Moister & heat can cause rashes. Sweat + tight shoes makes toes itchy and unbearable. Even tight socks can cause this.

Old 20th January 2012, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

I am suffering from the same problem from the past 8-9 years. Now a days i am trying to use hot coconut oil on my toes. it is a simple process of massaging the toes with hot coconut oil and also try to do exercise of the toes as much as possible, a simple exercise that i follow is walk on toes for at least 4-5 times a day, this helped me a lot.....hope will help you also. May God Bless you all...........
Old 27th January 2012, 04:42 AM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Swollen itchy toes

IT'S FROST BITE! totally, I've had the same problem for years and it gets worse when exposed to the cold, it's minor frostbite, I figured it out finally, (itchy, tough, swollen, red toes, and become's irritated to changing temperatures, especially in winter). Lo and behold it is frostbite, it is uncurable, but preventable from further damage. Keep your feet warm, take care of them, wear wool socks, limit your exposure to the elements and every thing is going to be okay.
Old 27th January 2012, 04:45 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Swollen itchy toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
im only a teenager so i dnt think i can get gout or corns yet...(i hope). but iv noticed my toes at the joints started to swell and bruise a purplish color. they itch if anything touches them. its only at the top of my feet and the swelling and miscoloration has not improved for the past 2 months. It started with one toe then later stared to affect some of my other toes including my big toes. Its almost like someone glued hard, swollen bumps at the joints of my toes and I don't know how to fix it. ...plus its getting worse since the weather is cold now. They dnt really hurt or anything, but its still freaking me out.
You have minor frost bite like me!! It's very common just take care of your feet, notice they turn purple?
Old 16th February 2012, 12:07 AM
Unregistered

Wink Re: Swollen itchy toes

Never ever post but felt I had too, excellent responses
I will try the socks, ginger water etc and test for allergies.
My toes itch both side between second and third toes few years now (alot)
Never thought of frost bite.
I stop the itching with teatree oil, a few drops in a shot glass of water and spray it on via a small mister and in 10mins or less the itching has gone but does return following night.
Gives an anesthetic feel, a gentle numbness but I get to sleep.
Just thought possible quick fix to try but take no responsibility for for anyone's action on using it. At least now I can try an aletrnative treatment.
cheers everyone
Old 27th May 2012, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Swollen Red itchy toes

Cramps in toes? Stand up and lift your heel, pressing toes down firmly for a few seconds. Cramps will eventually dissappear!

Red itchy toes? Rub tinea cream for 'athletes foot' (antifungal creme) thickly around the affected area once or twice a day for 7 days straight. Keep clean after applying cream, by wearing thick cotton socks, with or without shoes on, day and night.

Wear thongs when using other showers.

I haven't had red itchy toes for eight years!
Old 1st July 2012, 08:19 AM
Unregistered

Do some research on Raynaud's syndrome. I have this syndrome, and my symptoms are those mentioned in the first post. There are prescriptions available for it that help to relieve them.
Old 21st November 2012, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

Here are symptoms of chilblains: red, swollen, itchy toes that turn dark purple/blue that looks like a bruise and a burning sensation. It is caused by small blood vessels leaking when there is rapid change from cold to hot environment. So basically the blood vessels don't expand quickly enough after being warm so they leak causing chilblains. People with poor circulation, live in cold and humid climates, work outside, and females are more susceptible to them. They can come and go every winter.

I had a swollen toe that turned purple and wouldn't go away so I saw the doctor and he said he didn't know what it was but thought it might be a spider bite and prescribed me a fungal cream with steroids. At first he thought it was a bruise. The cream didn't work. It spread to the same toe on my other foot and a third toe. Today the second toe turned purple so I was going to go to the doctor again but I found this forum and I'm convinced its chilblains because the symptoms fit and the pictures I found of Google look identical. I live in a cold humid climate, have poor circulation in my legs, and have cold tile flooring. I found a cream online called Snowfire that's used in the UK and people say it works great for chilblains.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

My feet never had purple spots but developed all the other symptoms you mention in your posts. I have found that wearing synthetic socks makes it worse. My GP suggested trying Zantac: it's a new off-label use for irritation and it really helps!
Old 28th November 2012, 11:18 PM
Unregistered

Just had chilblains too, so awful, went to chemist and she advised sudacrem, worked in 2 days, brilliant!
Old 4th December 2012, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Iam 15 and I have a similar problem. Some of my toes on each foot especially my 4 the toe is swollen and goes a a reddy purple color. I think they get the itchiest when I've been doing sports or my feet are really warm but they also feel sore when cold. Overall they feel bettet cold but ache when I bend them.I had this last year aswell and don't know what it is!! Please help x
Old 14th December 2012, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

I love to stick my cold, cold feet into a bucket of hot water. Feels so good! Been doing it routinely lately due to my cold fractured foot, which I have been housing in a post-op boot. When I developed an itch and a couple of my toes swelled up, I wrote it off as my foot being inactive due to fracture. Then the itch became unbearable and I nearly lost my mind. I started consulting Dr. Google and here I am.

After reading countless articles and looking at online photos of chilblain-ed feet, I am convinced it's what I ended up with. Haven't seen my toes turn purple. They are reddish, swollen, feel tight and warm.

The only thing that brought relief from the crazy itch was removing my boot and sock, letting my foot chill out. Even minimal pressure such as wearing socks was irritating those poor swollen piggies.
Old 24th December 2012, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My feet never had purple spots but developed all the other symptoms you mention in your posts. I have found that wearing synthetic socks makes it worse. My GP suggested trying Zantac: it's a new off-label use for irritation and it really helps!
I dont get purple spots either, definetly not chillblains, just curious that more people get this. Socks don't effects me, it just happens randomly. I also get similiar feelings in my hands and fingers. Gonna go to a doctor and find out what it really is.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy My story about chillblains

I also have red, swollen, very itchy toe. Im only 12 I had it before on the third toe and it went away. After the New Year my toe on the other foot was itchy. The next day it became red and swollen. Today my mum told me to soak my feet in worm water with salt. Thanks for all the other methods though. I will try to soak them in ginger water because many people found it useful. And Im sure I have chilblains because my feel were very cold this winter and its terrible. I couldn't go swimming with my class. So my mum took me to a doctor and he didnt no wat it was so he said oh its nothing. But the most itchy time is in the evenining when Im lying in bed trying to fall asleep. I try not to scatch it because then it hurts alot. So does anyone else have different methods because this toe is causing so much pain and because of my toe I can go swimming or play on the grass because my shoe are not waterproof. I also have to keep my feet worm all the time and thats realy hard because I always go on the grass and I forget and I dont like waring woolen socks because they are very thick and then my shoes feel small. So can anyone help me? Or give me a method?
Old 17th January 2013, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

i have that right now, too. Friends told me they would get it in Argentina winter when they're trying to keep feet too warm. There's no scaling, no flaky patches of white or red, that you'd see with athletes foot. Not sure it's chilbains for certain, but it is bright red swollen tight smooth shiny skin, on many toes. It is not patchy, and the itch feels like it comes from under the skin. I got hydrocortisone cream 1% today, it started working right away but it didn't like to be covered with socks. I'm sitting here right now with no socks and toes are happy. Last night i sliced a whole fresh ginger piece and simmered it in a pot for 30 mins., then when it cooled some soaked my feet; it nicely drew out the itch and my toes remained calm until today late afternoon, when I bought the 1% cream. I wasn't too tempted to get calamine lotion, witch hazel, or other itch creams like Aveeno, as they all say for insect bite, but they may have been just as effective. All said, the ginger soak is the least expensive method and it's pretty cool treatment!
Old 21st January 2013, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

This sounds like chilblains to me as already mentioned...just thought i'd clarify.

As a suffer of chilblains I can understand how uncomfortably itchy/red/swollen etc. your toes become.

I've heard that it generally occurs in older people, those who don't exercise regularly (should be thinking at least 4 times a week) and in my case, really bad foot circulation.

Basically, chilblains occurs when your circulation to your feet gets messed up, it is most common in winter months.

Heres some tips initiated by myself and a doctor, always wear socks/slippers, but don't just wear one thick pair of socks, its better to wear two thinner pairs because layers are good at trapping warm air.
If you have sweaty feet that can just irritate your toes so give your feet some air every now and then (they need to breath whether you get sweaty or not!)

Dry you feet and toes immediately after being in water (ie shower/pool) to get rid of the water. Also when showering actually wash your feet properly, dirt and grime won't do much good.

I recommend putting on vaseline in the morning and when you wake up before putting on clean socks, this keeps your toes insulated and it also moisturises the 'tightness'. This really works! (well it does for me anyway) I would start putting the vaseline on early september, depending on where you live and the weather conditions there, its starts to get cold here mid september/october so a good few weeks of vaseline can help prevent/reduce the chilblains. Basically start a few weeks before it starts getting chilly. Or do it all year round if you always get chilblains, don't just stop for a week in the winter though your feet will get worse.

When your feet feel cold, wiggle your toes to keep the blood flowing down to your toes.

Hope this helps!!
Old 24th January 2013, 05:37 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Swollen itchy toes

I noticed my painful itchy feet starts to burn as soon as I take my socks off after a long day. Didn't notice if this was only a winter thing yet, it recently started happening. But I've been woken up with my soles on fire and to itch feels great at first, but then it hurts awful. I recently started using Corn Huskers Lotion and it seems to help, but isn't preventing the initial itchy feet. After reading the posts, I believe my troubles are warm boots so I'm going to try to remember to wear shoes that breath better and maybe slowly bring my feet to room temperature before taking off the socks. Thanks all for sharing.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Swollen itchy toes

I'm a 20 year old sever about a week ago i noticed the top off my big toe I'm the crease was very itchy as time goes by it has gotten worse. My toes have these little red lumps that itch really bad and kind of produce a clear fluid from the lumps they are also swollen and really tight if anyone has a idea of what it could be i would really Appreciate it
Old 5th February 2013, 05:28 AM
Unregistered

Talking Re: Swollen itchy toes

Chilblains!! i get them every year in cold season Chilblains are a tissue injury that occurs when a predisposed individual is exposed to cold and humidity. The cold exposure damages capillary beds in the skin, which in turn can cause redness, itching, blisters, and inflammation. Just keep your hands warm in cold weather because they can worsen
Old 8th February 2013, 12:47 AM
A welcome new poster

I am a 72 year old woman and my symptoms, like many above, started about three years ago....color hot pink turning to purple after about a week; affecting one or more toes at a time;episodes last approx 2 wks, occurring several months apart, any time of the year (first time was in the summer);tops of toes only, never underneath or between; usually over joint closest to nail but not confined to joint area alone; itching occurs always in evening/night especially when toes are warm (walking barefoot on cool floor eases itch); wear Burkinstock sandles, so open to air and light. Don't think it is Chilblains but would love to find out what else it could be.
Old 27th February 2013, 07:14 AM

Take a good diet. Itching of toes or foot might be a sigh of allergy or some kind of skin problem. Please contact a podiatrist

Foot specialist
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: Swollen itchy toes

I'm 17, and starting in December I have what it appears to be gouts but I'm too young for that so I'm guessing it's what everyone else in this forum has, gosh I thought I was the only.one who had this annoying problem. It's been almost 2 months and I have no idea how.to get rid of it. It's gotten so bad, it gets worse after I take off my work shoes.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:29 PM

Wink Re: Swollen itchy toes

Quote:
I'm 17, and starting in December I have what it appears to be gout but I'm too young for that so I'm guessing it's what everyone else in this forum has, gosh I thought I was the only.one who had this annoying problem. It's been almost 2 months and I have no idea how.to get rid of it. It's gotten so bad, it gets worse after I take off my work shoes.
You have to become aware of your diet here is a chart for food containing less Purine / uric acid. http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm
You may also need medication Please so, take advice from a foot doctor.
Also Diet is one part but their might be other reasons too.

Drink plenty of water and Avoid standing and walking, give your foot some rest.

Foot specialist