1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Jones fracture, pain after removing cast

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ok, here is a thing..

I've broken my 5th metatarsal bone 8 weeks ago. Been in cast for 7 weeks. X-ray 3-4 tines during healing process, last xray after removing cast was indicating that it was healed 80% (doc said that).

Before that injury my ankle was not in good shape, since I've had other injuries before, so it was not as mobile (up and to the outside) as it should be, but I could walk properly (without pain most of the time). Now, it is 5 days since removal of cast, my ankle is getting better, after phisyotherapy i've startes, BUT, when I try to walk (still on crutches to help, because I can not put full weight still on my foot), pain just behind pinky toe is still big. Expected it will lower after a few days, but still the same.

During exercises my physio does, I feel a lot of pain at that place. He sais my injury cannot get any worse than it is, and that pain should go away exactly with doing therapy, even when it pains a lot. I'm not complaining here, I would agree to take as much pain as I can, if it is going to improve my status, but, pain usually indicates something is wrong, or?

My main question is, is it normal to pain, since my doctor said to me I should put weight at my foot till it starts to pain, but he said that as if it is not going to be a lot of pain, and like it is going to be over very soon. And also, if this pain does not go away in 2-3 weeks (after therapy) what then? Because right now, I can not walk without crutch(es)?!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You were not clear as to the precise nature of the PT being performed or its specific purpose, but PT performed after being in a cast is not aimed at healing the fracture, but rehabbing and re-mobilizing the joint(s) which had been immobilized and strengthening the muscles which have atrophied from disuse while the limb was in a cast. I cannot speak to whether or not the pain you are experiencing is a sign of problems in your specific and individual case, but PT to rehab joints and muscles is frequently uncomfortable to painful. If your progress is not what you think it should be or had been led to believe it would be, you are going to have to take that up with the doctor who is supervising your care or hire another doctor. It is not in your best interests to solicit, accept and act upon advice regarding your on-going care from anyone who has not examined you, is not knowledgeable regarding your specific injury, care and status and who can offer you only a general answer which may not fit your situation. Such a person has no responsibility to you if and when things go terribly wrong when you have relied on such shoot-from-the-hip advice.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010