1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Active duty soldier with Jones Fracture...

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by a0cake, Aug 17, 2010.

1. a0cake

a0cake New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hey all. I'm an active duty soldier that just returned from Afghanistan after suffering a Jones Fracture. My only concern and my only goal is to return to my unit in Afghanistan as soon as possible. The injury occured on 20 May 2010. It was initially casted (no weight bearing) for a period of 6 weeks. After 6 weeks it showed no signs of healing, so my primary care provider at my base in Afghanistan referred me to one of the main medical centers in Afghanistan. The Orthopedic Surgeon there examined it and determined that I needed surgical fixation in order for it to heal, so he sent me back to the US. He also took the cast off and gave me a CAM boot, which I beared weight on with no issue. Let me say at this point that I have not experienced any pain at all with this injury except for the day it happened, even when putting weight on it. So, on 16 July 2010 I arrived in the US and saw the Orthopedic doctor here. His recommended course of action was to continue with the conservative approach and try to let it heal naturally. He said that I didn't need to use the CAM boot if I had no pain and can walk on it in normal shoes and boots as tolerated with pain. As I said, I can walk and even run on this fracture with absolutely no pain or discomfort. So that's what I've been doing as per my doctor's guidance. So then yesterday on 16 August I went back for a follow up and still it has showed no signs of healing or callusing on the X-RAY. And still I can push against resistance with my foot in all directions with no perceived pain. There is no swelling or bruising at the site. As I said earlier, my only concern is getting back to Afghanistan as soon as possible and rejoining my unit. Yet his guidance as of yesterday was simply to come back next month and he'd look at it again. He will keep doing this until the 5 month mark on 16 October. If it isn't healed or healing by then he's going to reccomend a screw be placed in the bone. I'm not a doctor, I got it, but if it hasn't even BEGUN to heal after 3 months, what's going to change by month 5? I understand that Jones FX's take a long time to heal, on average 5 months, but then, logically, by month 3, there should at least be evidence of the bone healing. Or is it as if it just suddenly changes and decides to heal over night? Do you think I'm wasting my time and heading toward inevitable surgery or is this a reasonable course of action that my doctor has decided on? I just don't want to waste two more months trying to get this thing to heal to just have to get surgery. And is walking on it in normal shoes as if I don't even have a fracture going to prevent it from healing? My doctor says as long as it doesn't hurt it doesn't matter. True? I've discussed all of this with him and he is always in a hurry and is not at all thorough or convincing in his explanations. The only reason I know anything about Jones fractures is the internet and the fact that he told me I have one. I appreciate any advice or comments.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I have never heard of treating a non-union of a Jones fracture in the manner which you describe, but I think maybe you should count your blessings being back here in the U.S. rather than being shot at in Afghanistan. Back in WWII, they would call that a million dollar injury.

3. a0cake

a0cake New Member

I, like everyone in today's military, volunteered. There has not been a draft for some time...so I'm a little perplexed by your response. I guess it's hard to understand the bond that's forged among friends in that environment without being there so I won't hold it against you. Anyway, care to adress any of my questions specifically, sir? You seem to have a wealth of knowledge.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

No, I don't understand why one would consider, much less volunteer to get shot at, possibly maimed for life and possibly killed, especially for a venture in which no one has the slightest idea what victory would look like and which will likely wind up no better than it has for the entire history of the world. There has got to be a some other payoff for you and yours than bonding.

As far as specific answers to your questions, my wealth of knowledge, as you put it, dictates that I make specific case-dependent recommendations ONLY when I have the necessary facts to do so. There are plenty of would be wealth of knowledgers elsewhere who will be glad to shoot-from-the-hip and let you think they know what is good for your case without knowing the facts. I'm not one of them.

5. Mick D

Mick D New Member

Hello mate,
    Firstly I know what its like for you, I have a similar break, but I'm still in pain after the cast has come off, I cannot answer your questions, but as a former UK soldier & a current emergency services officer I take my hat off to you, in relation to the job you do.

Wishing you a fast recovery and a safe return to duty.

Mick