1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Is there a correlation

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Based upon professional, peer review literature is there a correlation between plantar fasciosis and the development of flexible flat foot/degeneration of posterior tibial tendon and spring ligament?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

If you mean do they all necessarily coexist, the answer is NO. If you mean, can they be concomitant findings, the answer is YES.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your response.

In my case the two conditions were sequential. About three years ago, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis which did not respond to conservative treatments including ESWT. After 1 1/2 years dealing with plantar fasciosis, the pain finally resolved after having two rounds of cryo surgery over a 5 months period. Despite being pain free, an ultrasound revealed that the plantar fascia continue to have pockets as thick as 7.5mm. I was finally pain free as long as I wore my custom orthotics in good shoes/sneakers. About 1 1/2 years ago, I was diagnosed with posterior tibial disfunction with the arch starting to flatten. I had a modified kinder one year ago which obviously did not address the problem as I had continued pain a year post op. The subsequent complete collapse of the arch became obvious to the naked laymans eye. I went to a foot and anke ortho who specializes in flat foot reconstruction at a top ranked orthopedic hospital. A new MRI from 2 months ago revealed that I had severe degeneration of the posterior tibial tendon and spring ligament as well as degeneration of the plantar fascia. Luckily my flat foot was still flexible at the time of my recent surgery. The surgeon said that the ptt was attached to the navicular by a few threads and was severely degenerated throughout necesitating a tendon transfer to repair it. Rips in the spring ligament were repaired and the lax spring ligament tightened along with a calcaneal slide and cotton osteotomy. From what I have read, it appears that the plantar fascia, posterior tibial tendon and spring ligament are all major supports of the arch. I was wondering if these conditions are related to each other in the progression of my flat foot.

Thank again for your response

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Plantar fasciocis/fasciitis is a condition in which the plantar fascia is tight and over-stressed. It is not necessarily associated with low arch structure. In fact, it is very common in persons with pathologic high-arched structure (cavus foot) which is often associated with equinus with is frequently associated with a tight Achilles tendon. The plantar fascia is an anatomical continuation of that tendon after its insertion into the posterior of the calcareous (heel bone).