foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Broken fifth metartarsal

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21st October 2013, 06:21 PM
john111 john111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Broken fifth metartarsal

Hi .. I broke my fifth metatarsal on the 9th of this month ..I rolled my right foot and the tendon pulled a piece of bone of the metatarsal I think its called a avulution fracture it was put in a cast and its doing my head in as its chaffing my ankle and itching like mad .. A couple of questions .. Is Aircast walker ps short the same as a cast as I would like one if they are to cast it on Friday ..I'll buy it myself .. Also when will I be able to drive ..? the swelling as gone and the bruising more or less as gone ... many thanks ..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25th October 2013, 07:30 PM
Craig Payne Craig Payne is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

An Aircast type device is not usually as restrictive for these types of fracture, so at this stage its probably not an option.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 25th October 2013, 08:08 PM
john111 john111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Thank you ..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29th October 2013, 02:53 PM
TOG565 TOG565 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

John,

I broke mine on the 5th. Im in a short leg cast and due to have swelling issues i went back and they redid it. The cast tech said he would do a cast like he does for diabetic patients. Since then its been quite comfortable actually. I wouldnt recommend it but ive been driving since day 2 cause i had no choice. Learn to brKe with your left. Takes practice but atleast im able to come and go. This injury sucks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30th October 2013, 02:26 AM
TOG565 TOG565 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Anyone know if you can reinjure the jones fracture in a cast without falling or hitting it? I have woken up in the middle of the night to my foot shaking uncontrollably a few times, to cramps occasionally in my calf, amd just had a cruch slide out on my right side from a kids toy on the floor. I caught myself on my cruch and my foot did not hit anything but, I felt an immediate tightness on the top of my injured foot followed by some numbness. Anyone have such a thing?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31st October 2013, 12:19 PM
john111 john111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG565 View Post
John,

I broke mine on the 5th. Im in a short leg cast and due to have swelling issues i went back and they redid it. The cast tech said he would do a cast like he does for diabetic patients. Since then its been quite comfortable actually. I wouldnt recommend it but ive been driving since day 2 cause i had no choice. Learn to brKe with your left. Takes practice but atleast im able to come and go. This injury sucks!!!
Hi .. Thanks for responding ..It sure does .. I seem to have got away with it lucky I broke it on the 9th and it seems fine I have been wearing an air boot but I can put weight on it and the swelling is almost gone.. I have a stick shift so I cant use the left foot for breaking as I have to depress the clutch ..I'm going to try driving next weekend .. I do hope you're foot heals well .. seems like it can heal in 3-4 weeks .. many thanks ..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31st October 2013, 12:26 PM
john111 john111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG565 View Post
Anyone know if you can reinjure the jones fracture in a cast without falling or hitting it? I have woken up in the middle of the night to my foot shaking uncontrollably a few times, to cramps occasionally in my calf, amd just had a cruch slide out on my right side from a kids toy on the floor. I caught myself on my cruch and my foot did not hit anything but, I felt an immediate tightness on the top of my injured foot followed by some numbness. Anyone have such a thing?
I banged mine a few day ago and it started hurting ..It went away in a couple of days ..Stay off it for a few days and you should be ok to walk on it a little ..walk on you're heel and keep you're foot as stiff .. hope you're foot heals fast for you .. mine seems to have done in about 3 weeks i'm still using crutches and not putting too much weight on it ..I even borrowed a wheelchair to go to the pub last night ..just a chance after a few beers I was unsteady ... you'll be fine in a few days ..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31st October 2013, 12:52 PM
TOG565 TOG565 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Hi. Glad to hear you are doing well. I suffered the dreaded jones fracture so it looks like its gonna be awhile for me. Seeing a podiatrist today for a second opinion just to ensure he agrees with the cast approach as decided by my ortho. Hoping to be back to work by january 1st full duty. I worry every time I feel a pull or tightness in the foot because I know with muscle/tendons always pulling on the 5th it can easily interupt a jones from healing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31st October 2013, 02:26 PM
john111 john111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG565 View Post
Hi. Glad to hear you are doing well. I suffered the dreaded jones fracture so it looks like its gonna be awhile for me. Seeing a podiatrist today for a second opinion just to ensure he agrees with the cast approach as decided by my ortho. Hoping to be back to work by january 1st full duty. I worry every time I feel a pull or tightness in the foot because I know with muscle/tendons always pulling on the 5th it can easily interupt a jones from healing.
Hi .. yeah the tendon can pull it away when its healing .. I haven't really tested it so far ..I'm hoping to give it another week and test drive it a bit .. Take care and keep it rested it'll soon get better ..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31st October 2013, 02:48 PM
TOG565 TOG565 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken fifth metartarsal

Thanks for the uptalk. I'm freakin put with this injury due to having kids and losing income until I can get back to work. I hate hearing so many negative replies about this injury. In fact, I havent heard anything positive at all. Hoping its because people who didnt habe an issue didnt bother typing. At a different doctors office now for a second opinion. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken 2nd, 3rd and 4th Metatarsal and dislocated/broken 5th Metatarsal JayCav Ask your questions here 0 19th June 2012 01:56 PM
5th Metartarsal threatens wedding! Please help! Loule Introductions 0 29th January 2012 12:42 PM
Have I broken something? BH123 Ask your questions here 0 24th August 2011 12:24 PM
avulsion fracture 5 th metartarsal cmusgrave Ask your questions here 5 15th September 2010 12:32 AM
Broken Navicular and now broken 3rd Metatarsal Unregistered Ask your questions here 2 21st December 2009 12:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content is copyright to the Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum.