foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

toddler feet - fever related?

Old 9th October 2010, 02:15 AM
Unregistered

Question toddler feet - fever related?

Dear Doctor,

I have a little boy, 2 years and 10 months, who 13 days ago tripped over as he stood up from the end of a slide.
he cried a little bit. but then asked to go to bed, as it was nearly bed time. i put some ice on it thinking he'd hurt it.
he whimpered a little bit during his sleep in the night and i thought i'd better get it looked at.
so we took him to the emergency, they did an xray. and sure enough despite the lack of any physical signs, the xray showed a broken _Metatarsal 3_ i've googled it and this is what i can come up with.
they've put a cast on it, a blue one...
they gave me a broad antibiotic and antinflamatory and some paracetamol to give him for a week.
he couldn't walk the first few days, he just crawled.
then he decided to stand up a little bit, and in the last 4 days he's been walking a bit.
it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

however, here are my 2 problems.

1- he has a fever.
it's been up and down, 38, 38.5, 39, 38, 38.5 etc.
i can't find anything on the internet about this.
do you think it's foot related?

2- his cast is getting a bit destroyed. he's got cotton wool coming out thro his toes.
is it possible to change casts?

many thanks

ps: we are currently in a foreign country, so communication at the hospital was rather limited.
Old 9th October 2010, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: toddler feet - fever related?

I couldn't wait... we took him back to the hospital.

they did a new xray, his bone is healing well.

they changed his cast, on for another week or two.

and the fever, well it turns out he has a little throat infection. so that might be the cause of the fever.

but just to be sure, they took a blood sample and we'll get the results tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old 9th October 2010, 05:35 PM
Foot Doc

Default Re: toddler feet - fever related?

An excellent example as to why questions such as yours really have no place on the Internet, as when you took your child to the hospital, the first thing they did to supply you with an answer was to examine the child. So, as real medical opinion would rely on an actual examination, what good would a guess on the Internet have done you? I point this out not to scold you or give you a hard time, but to substantiate the reason that I do not shoot from the hip with my responses and admonish those who ask me or others to do so.

FOOT DOC
Old 9th October 2010, 06:32 PM
Unregistered

Cool Re: toddler feet - fever related?

Thanks for your message, tho i don't really see the point.
what kind of question would you say are ok for the internet then?

whether it is possible or not to change a cast that is damaged is hardly something that need examining.

and as to whether a broken foot can cause a fever, a simple yes it could if it was infected, which should be looked at, or the possibility than something else could be causing a fever, which also would need to be looked at. something i hadn't really thought of.

so the fever needed looking at, obviously, the question was then really how urgent did it sound to anyone.

so what is the point of online sites like this, if everything always needs an evaluation.

well i think it's just to comfort people, and give them options of all the ifs that could be. or am i wrong?
Old 10th December 2014, 08:17 AM
Unregistered123

Default Re: toddler feet - fever related?

No, you are not wrong. I totally agree with you as a father of two daughters, internet and forums like this is to give people references even though we will go to see the doctors no matter what. As internet is really powerful these days, comforting people and landing help would definitely comfort others mentally. Keep posting this is encouraged!