foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Can a Pronated Foot Cause Chronic Unilateral Heacahe?

Old 6th October 2013, 12:30 PM
A welcome new poster

Default Can a Pronated Foot Cause Chronic Unilateral Heacahe?

Hi all,

Since mid 2002 I've experienced chronic unilateral headache (I can't stress enough that it's literally there all the time) on the left side of my head which routinely affects my concentration as well as, in a way, my eyesight (as I believe the chronic 'tightness sensation' along the left side of my head affects the ocular muscles around the left eye).

It's been the most frustrating experience of my life (as I've had to tolerate it, and its effects, for the last 11 years since I was 17) and I have ruled out so many things by having spine CT scans, brain MRI scans, physiotherapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, analgesics, indomethacin, muscle relaxants etc. and have had no relief and the symptoms have remained steady and unchanged.

I have noticed that when I walk I tend to feel a "heavy" sensation in my left foot and notice that the left side of my left foot usually feels like it's bearing more pressure and when walking more emphasis is felt on that side of the left foot when I walk (conversely, my right foot feels fine and I never think about it) and, I also tend to feel a pronounced tightness in the calf muscle region just above my left foot when walking. I remember when I travelled overseas last year I was walking around cities a lot and after a couple of weeks, for at least a few days, I felt intense pain in my knees and at several points I felt like I could barely walk because of how painful the knees felt (I didn't see a doctor about the pain I felt in my knees after I returned home, as the issue had gone away).

I actually did see a podiatrist at the start of this year because after reading information online I theorised that perhaps I had a significant leg length discrepancy that was causing the chronic unilateral headache and, while my 'leg length discrepancy', was only about 1.5cm (which I now know isn't substantial enough to be considered an issue) I still wore orthotics for approximately six months which had absolutely no effect on my symptoms (in fact, they only had the effect of making my feet hurt, especially when I had to sit somewhere for an extended period of time with my shoes on such as on a plane or when at the movies).

The only thing I can think of now is that perhaps my left foot is overpronated, has been for some time (and the junior podiatrist I saw earlier this year wasn't aware of a potential link), and the chronic tension I feel throughout the left side of my back and left side of my head has reverberated up the body as a result?

I would really appreciate the opinions of forum members. I'm really exasperated, and sick of having a chronic unilateral headache which often impacts on my concentration.

Last edited by Jaffas85; 6th October 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Can a Pronated Foot Cause Chronic Unilateral Heacahe?

There is no doubt that he function of the foot can affect things further up; but at the same time there are a lot of reasons for headahces.

There are some clinicians who claims that poor foot function can be a common cause of thee sorts of problems; there are other who totally dismiss and rubbish the idea. I would like to see more research before coming to conclusions - there is some evidence, but the research was poorly done.

A good clinician would probably not make the link as there are so many potential causes of the headache and the weakness or lack of scientific evidence for the link. Having said that it is still plausible that there is a problem going on with your foot that could be causing problems. There is nothing wrong with trying some sort of temporary foot support to deal with the foot problem and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th October 2013, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Can a Pronated Foot Cause Chronic Unilateral Heacahe?

It would be an extremely long bow to pull to try and associate unilateral foot pronation and chronic headache.

I cant say I have every made this call in the past 20 years.

But, stranger things have been known to occur!
40 Annerley Road
Woolloongabba QLD 4102
Australia

**all advice given is general in nature, but should not constitute specific medical advice about your particular condition. The above comments should not replace thorough assessment and care by your own health care professional**