foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Injured top of foot, now a hard bump. RICE?

Old 29th September 2010, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Default Injured top of foot, now a hard bump. RICE?

Hi Foot Doc. Your replies entertain me. I have a small matter you may have something to say about, though maybe beneath your expertise.

I'm trying to find info about what sort of foot injury causes a hard bump. Usually if I get hurt somewhere the bump is soft or bruised but this bump seems hard.

I injured the top of my foot 4 days ago while rollerskating. (A wild kid tripped me!) The hard bump appears/feels like it is between my 1st and 2nd metatarsal, judging from diagrams I found. It hurts if I press on it, very slight redness and no bruising, but a swollen appearance around the hard part.

It hurt quite a bit the first day, but I was still able to walk very carefully, and Rested, Iced, Compressed, Elevated. Next day it felt a lot better but then I noticed the bump, no more limping and I am forgetting about it almost, unless I 1)bonk it 2) walk wrong 3)walk for too long.
If it wasn't for the bump sticking out I would keep with the RICE routine and wait it out without a worry. Icing does seem to help. I've been going to the doctor so much lately for other stuff I don't want to go again for something common and minor.

I hope that asking here may help others as well, as I've been searching for info but I'm having trouble finding info that seems relevant to my issue.
Old 29th September 2010, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Injured top of foot, now a hard bump. RICE?

It is not possible for me or anyone else without examining it to tell you with any assurance what a "bump" is and whether it needs treatment. As you have concerns, see a podiatrist, and then you will know if it is common and minor or whatever. Hopefully, you will find my reply as entertaining as ever.
Old 29th September 2010, 02:10 PM

haha! I did find it entertaining. You are an ornery internet podiatrist.

I just want to know what kinds of injuries could cause a hard bump.
Old 29th September 2010, 08:47 PM

I finally found somethings that mention a hard bump could indicate tears in a ligament.

So it sounds like it's not just a common thing that happens with minor foot injuries but indeed something that should be checked, even though the pain is minimal. I guess I'm calling the doctor!

Last edited by ordinaryfeets; 29th September 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinaryfeets View Post
haha! I did find it entertaining. You are an ornery internet podiatrist.

I just want to know what kinds of injuries could cause a hard bump.
Apparently you are VERY easily entertained. Why would you expect that I would spend time giving you a long list of every injury that could result in a hard bump without having any actual basis in fact, and what possible good would it do you? Now I am entertained.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:41 PM

I wouldn't expect you to be as thorough as all that. I found another apparent doctor who was able to provide a simple possibility of torn ligament to explain a hard bump like this without any sort of problem. That possibility seems to me to have actual basis in fact.

If you had told me something like, "a bump that seems hard in that area of the foot is very common with that sort of trauma due to swelling of the blah blah foot part, so does not by itself indicate a problem but get checked to be sure" I probably would've waited longer depending on whatever your input guided me to research since there is not much pain. After hearing that it could be a torn ligament, I searched under those terms, and decided it's not worth waiting.

I thank you for your time regardless. It's been like conversing with dr. house.

Will update after my doctor visit for any future people searching for info on hard foot bumps resulting from injury.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:29 AM

Alright, saw a doctor. Actually the ligament possibility wasn't mentioned. He seems to think my xray is likely to show a bony contusion, or a bone cyst. There is also a possibility of slight fracture but that is unlikely since I have little pain. If my injury took place more than 4 days ago and I had more pain, the hard bump could mean calcium was forming over the fracture.

The initial home treatment that I did was correct. Rest Ice Compress Elevate and taking anti-inflammatory. I stopped taking Aleve after the first day, though, and continuing Aleve for 3-5 days would've been better.

Hopefully this helps someone
Old 30th September 2010, 09:55 PM

Seems to me that the fact that you've now been examined and you still don't have a definitive answer to your question only points out the foolishness of having expectations of something more definitive from someone on the Internet who can't even see your foot. Anybody can make blind guesses, but I can't see how you would have been better off being given one.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:39 AM

Well turns out it is probably this cyst thing. If I'd known that existed and could that a cyst could feel hard I probably would've assumed that's what it was or something similarly minor, since my pain is minimal. I wouldn't have gone and bothered exposing myself to radiation and wasting an afternoon for something not causing me much pain. Swelling is supposed to go down within 2 weeks on its own. I would've waited but I thought a hard bump must mean trouble.
Old 20th August 2012, 06:12 AM
Unregistered

Talking Re: Injured top of foot, now a hard bump. RICE?

I have the same symptom i e.
bump with some pain on the top of the foot probably caused by hiking down a switchback.
But like the other guy I found this dialogue useless.
I can run play tennis and walk ok it is just about the painful bump.