1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Ingrown toenail removed

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have had my toenail removed for a total of 5 times now. The first time my doctor just cut off one side of the nail. After that it came back ingrown again so my doctor removed the whole ting & tried to kill the toe bed. We did this3 more times none of which worked. Just had it done again about a week & a half ago or so. This time she put twice the amount of poison (not sure of the name, but it's supposed to kill the toe bed) to see if it would actually take.

I am wondering how long I should keep dressing my toe (I use an antibiotic ointment on a band aid, covered with a sterile pad, then taped with this waterproof tape to hold it all on). There's no blood on the toe bed anymore, should I keep dressing it just to make sure that my socks don't stick to my toe? I am really nervous about it sticking as it is my biggest fear. I have to wear normal shoes not open toe because it's just to cold here at this time.

Should I keep dressing it daily just to make sure my socks don't stick to my toe?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I cannot imagine why, especially as you have trusted your doctor 5 times to do this surgery, you are not asking these questions directly to her. Seems to me this would be basic instructions given to you after the surgery, or it not, you should have asked or have know or figured it out after 4 previous experiences. I can't say what your doctor's wishes or protocol might be, but I instruct my patients to keep a sterile gauze bandage on the toe at all times other than when soaking, changed as often as necessary and soaked off if stuck by drainage, until all drainage has ceased and I tell them to stop dressing it. Where is the doctor in your doctor/patient relationship anyhow?

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am only 16 so I don't actually speak to my doctor, my mom does =P I hate calling them because I always get confused with what I am trying to tell them. I can type much better than I can speak =)

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I don't give advice directly to minors and I would not have responded had you initially indicated your age. Disregard what I posted as per my clear DISCLAIMER and obtain your advice from your doctor.