1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal stress fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a suspected fracture of the 5th metatarsal, waiting for a bone scan to confirm (i'm in britain so getting this on the NHS) walking is painful, i'm a rower and i'm wondering if it's going to be ok to continue with this, any rowers out there with experience of this? doctor said as long as the activity doesn't hurt then it should be ok to do and thought that rowing might be ok because it's not high impact, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    How would you suppose that anyone can meaningfully comment upon your doctor's recommendations without knowing your diagnosis. The prudent thing to do is to not aggravate an existing problem until one finds out the possible consequences of doing so.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I appreciate your reply but would also like to point out that I wasn't asking for comments on my doctors recommendations, I was simply seeing if there was anyone with experience of this injury in my particular sport who may be able to offer advice as to what was and wasn't possible with the injury because my doctor in their own words wasn't particularly familiar with the sport. Maybe you should take more time to properly ascertain what someone is asking when they post on these boards before replying in a frankly unhelpful and derogatory manner. As to implying an athlete would be stupid enough to aggravate an injury, if you had read my initial question properly I did say that my doctor felt the sport would not aggravate the injury, I was asking for opinions of those who may have had the same injury for the very reason that I wish not to aggravate it, I had thought a forum on foot injury would be the sort of place to discuss/ask for friendly advice, clearly I was wrong and I apologise for taking up so much of your time.