1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain after partial nail avulsion

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by anne17, Nov 13, 2010.

1. anne17

anne17 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a partial nail avulsion two weeks ago - permanent nail removal on both sides of my big toe. It's looked terrible until today. They did an xray and a blood test and both came out normal. It finally looks a little better. But the pain is still there - deep hard throbbing. Is this normal? I'm on oral antibiotics and soaking 2x a day and using antibiotics and bandages.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If you had a phenol procedure, it is not uncommon to have pain and inflammation for a couple or more weeks after surgery. It may be that the drainage is blocked and needs to mechanically opened and drainage reinstituted. It could also be an infection. If you have chosen a competent doctor, he/she should be able to tell the difference and provide you with proper care. If not, seek an independent second opinion.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If you had a phenol procedure, it is not uncommon to have pain and inflammation for a couple or more weeks after surgery. It may be that the drainage is blocked and needs to mechanically opened and drainage re-instituted. It could also be an infection. If you have chosen a competent doctor, he/she should be able to tell the difference and provide you with proper care. If not, seek an independent second opinion.

4. anne17

anne17 New Member

Thanks! It's good to know that pain is to be expected. I was told I could work (teaching) the same day as the procedure - and that was two weeks ago. I've seen the doctor four times and am going back on Monday.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

1. I didn't say it was to be expected. I said that it is not uncommon with a CERTAIN TYPE of nail procedure.
    2. I said it might be a common complication which would need doctor treatment.
    3. I said it could be an infection which would require immediate treatment.

The vast majority of my patients having such a procedure have experienced no extensive disability which would preclude their working as a teacher.

6. anne17

anne17 New Member

Thanks for the explanation! I guess I'm just unlucky to continue to have pain. I did show it to my family doctor on Wednesday and he seemed to think it might be infected (said to get more antibiotics). I saw the Podiatrist Thursday and have another appointment Monday.

I'm glad to know that it's not uncommon.