1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sesamoiditis

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have been diagnosed with sesamoiditis in the ball of my left foot, unlike most cases I have read about which are overuse injuries or impact to the bottom of the foot, this was caused by droping something on the top of my foot. The pain though was instantly on the bottom, apparently the impact caused bruising on the bottom. The Podiatrist took x-rays and thought it was fractured. But then after an MRI decided it was a bipartate sesamoid and was not fractured. I have had orthodics, two cortazoid shots, and he has perscribed a night splint for stretching my achilles, this doesn't seem logical to me. Is he just trying to charge the insurance company for something or is it really going to help me? This has been going on for nearly a year, the pain is not great with my every day activities but I am a runner and triathlete and I have not been able to run now for almost a year and I have had to drop out of my first Ironman. I am getting very depressed at the possiblity of not being able to run again. Are there physical therepy options or something else that really works? I have heard of alot of things being tried in my internet research but I have yet to find something that has had success. What about Astym or Graston techniques for removing scar tissue, or are they only for muscle tissue? Any help would be greatlly appriciated.

2. Biomech

Biomech New Member

Sesamoid injuries are difficult. All the things you have been offered are ligitimate - I could give you a reason for them so I don't think it is just scamming the insurance company.

Post up a photo of your orthotics, I would be interested to see how they are constructed

It is not unusual to have to seriously modify activities permenantly if the pain does not resolve and surgical procedures have mixed results.

Look forward to seeing a photo