1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

8 months post lisfranc surgery and still in pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by peter16, Apr 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. peter16

peter16 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello everyone,

I suffer my lisfranc injury on September 9, 2010, it happen at football practice the day before our second game. I'm a junior in High School and was starting linebacker, but it all end when our biggest lineman on the team fell on the back of heal of my right foot when I was attempting to make a tackle and my foot was planted in the turf and my toe got stuck in the turf and my foot just got destroy. I new instantly there was something wrong when I stood up and I fell right back down. Our trainer took my cleat off and it swelled up instantly and she sent me to go get a x-ray. At the hospital they took my x-rays and the nurses there said there was nothing wrong. The next day my foot was still very swelled up and I was still in a lot of pain, got appointment with my doctor and he already looked at before I came in and said I had lisfranc fracture and would have surgery the next week. After my surgery he told me that it was a lot worse then he was expecting, had three screws put in, he said it was very unstable and ligaments were torn and I had multiple fractures and the ligament holding my big toe in place was torn. I was non-weight bearing for 2 months til I had my screws removed and was told i might be back for wrestling season by january. (Wrestling is my main sport and I'm looking to wrestle in college). I was working my foot hard to get it ready and so I would be cleared. When January came I went to the doctor and he told me to wait a couple more weeks because it was still hurting me pretty bad. I was pretty disappoint because regionals and state was in Feburary. When I went to next appointment he asked me if I thought I was ready and of course I said yes because I really needed to get back, so he cleared me. I probably wasn't ready because the practices I was in a lot of pain but I knew I needed to just work throught it and I would deal with it after season. That's what I did and I ended up finishing 4th at state with only wrestling regionals and state. Its not been 8 months since injury happen and I'm still in a lot pain when I walk and can't stand up on my toes and my foot random shakes too. If anybody has any suggestions on what I should do please comment.

2. peter16

peter16 New Member

D d f f f f f f f f f. F f f f f. F f f f. F f

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Either go back to the surgeon or maybe better, go for a second opinion. You don't want to end up permanently disabled due to the foot. Working through the pain (especially for the foot) is never an idea.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,

I had a very similar injury about three years ago playing rugby.

I didn't have the screw moved becuase the surgeon felt it would allow for too much movement in the foot, thus causing more arthritis.

I was still feeling a lot of pain after 12 mionths and itching to get back playing, so I got a corisone injection every 4 months. This subsided the swelling and took a lot of the pain away. However, once the injection wore off after a month or two it got sore again.

The pain has cleared up, but it still sore if I run on hard ground, take a knock to the scar tissue, or anything like that! I Usually ice it every night after training etc which keeps the swelling down.

Long story short, your foot will probably always be sore - you just have to learn how to manage it!