1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

HELP - Blister advice for speed walker urgent!!

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Walkiewoman, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Walkiewoman

Walkiewoman New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Help! I ama speed walker and am taking part in a marathon on 1st May 11. I have not really had blister problems before (I have Forefoot Valgus and wedge insoles so am used to other foot pain) but now I have.

Over the last 2-3 weeks I have been developing huge blisters on the inside edge of my heel - on both feet, although the right foot is considerably worse. I have not been using new trainers or new socks (I use sythetic running socks or 1000 mile dual layer socks). Since the blisters started to appear I have been taping them up with Zinc Oxide tape when walking. However, this doesnt seem to have made much difference and the irritation persists.

I managed 19 miles of a 21 mile training session 2 days ago before having to stop in agony (and very wet feet were the blisters had popped and soaked my shoes) - the blister has spread from the sides (they appear where the sole meets the trainer) up towards my ankle. The blister at the heel edge is very deep under layers of skin, the blister that has spread upwards is very painful, not as deep and the skin under the loose top layer is extremely red and very tender to touch. Both parts keep on re-filling with fluid. There is a small bruise that is also developing along the bottom edge of my blister under the foot.

What is the best way to treat this? Im worried that I may not be able to remedy this in time to take part in the marathon in 6 days time (which is a charity event and I have sponsors I cant let down). What advice can you give to:
    - help heal this more quickly
    - tape/cover it up effectively so that I can take part with minimal discomfort - or making it much worse
    - should I persist with the trainers or buy new ones (a marathon in new trainers may do even more damage?)
    - do you think it could be related to a change in my forefoot valgus foot positioning - I have never had blisters in this area before?

Thanks
    (apologies for long posting)

2. rdizzy1223

rdizzy1223 New Member

Id use some type of medicated foot powder, sort of numbs the area at the same time drying it out, no idea what would be causing it though.

3. Walkiewoman

Walkiewoman New Member

Thanks #rdizzy1223 - I have tried the foot powder but it stops the tape I need to tape my foot with from sticking, but it was a great suggestion and worth a try.

Any further comments or suggestions, Id be very grateful - if there are any foot docs out there, Id appreciate any of your thoughts... 3 days until the big event and the blister is still filling with fluid (the bruising is starting to fade thankfully)!

4. rdizzy1223

rdizzy1223 New Member

You could see if a podiatrist would prescribe you lidoderm patches, they are patches with novacaine type stuff(lidocaine) in them that numb and would protect the blister and they are self adhesive. They might have something similar over the counter.Also you can cut them with scissors to any size or shape you want.