1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Practical tips for post surgery? non weight bearing

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by foot268, Jul 3, 2011.

1. foot268

foot268 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Background - I am 61 with high arches, en pointe dance for years in youth, and running activity after that for many years. I have had leg and foot pain forever which I mainly ignored. Multiple types of arch supports for years.

A year ago I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in R hip. Doc opened conversation with "you're tougher than you think" I had absolutely no cartilage in the joint. Femur was actually worn down. Hah I thought that was it. Hip replaced and it healed great. I started walking. The feet got worse quickly. The feet are now so painful I'm back to where I can't even walk to the back of a grocery store - here we go again.

Gave in and went to doc. Different doc (podiatrist) in same practice group as my hip doc (hip doc used to teach at Mayo - I'm with the best ortho clinic in our area) Foot doc starts the initial conversation with (deja vu) "you're tougher than you think" (hip and foot doc must have gone to the same conference on how to break bad news) My heart sunk before he said another word. X-rays showed severe osteoarthritis in both feet - bone on bone multiple joints both feet. Subsequent MRI showed PTTD both as well. I'm messed up. Since years of conservative care has not worked, surgery here I go - R foot first. Fusion of some of the joints and tendon repair. Once that is fixed with R on to L. The usual no guarantees as to outcome which I can accept but I refuse to consider a Jazzy power scooter in my future without a fight. First surgery July 22

Soooo - long way to get here but I'm looking at a VERY long time non weight bearing. With my hip I was partial weight bearing almost immediately so this is very different. Already ordered my knee scooter and pillow to elevate my leg. I have the forms for short term disability and FMLA from my work. Looking for other practical tips of what else I should get or do before I begin this long process. HELP?!

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I found that a raised toilet seat (could buy it in any pharmacy or surgical supply store) and shower chair were a life saver. The toilet seat I chose is attached to a frame that just sits over the toilet. It also has handles to hold onto which makes it easier to get on and off the toilet. I ordered a cup holder that fit on the handle bar of the knee walker. A small basket or bag to velcro onto the knee walker to carry things from room to room is another great help. You could use a back pack for the same purpose. Be sure to always have you cell phone/chordless phone with you. Have plenty of easy to grab but healthy foods that don't need prep work. Yogurts, fruit, vege sticks etc are good. I had my husband premake salads and sandwiches so I could just grab them when he wasn't home. I had lots of reading materials and access to a computer. I only went up and down the steps once a day. I went downstairs on my tush in the morning and back upstairs on my tush at night with my husband spotting me. We borrowed a wheelchair to use when we went out. I remember about three weeks post op, I was going stir crazy. My husband pushed me in the wheelchair to a bagel shop a few blocks from my home to have lunch. It felt so wonderful to just get out of the house for something other than a doctor appointment.

Good luck with your surgery. I remember going through periods of time that I was so frustrated and depressed. Keep in mind that those feelings do pass and things will get better. I was nwb 12 weeks, followed by 3 weeks pwb and another 6-8 weeks in an aircast any time my foot touched the ground. I am one year post op and am pretty much pain free. I am once again able to go on a two mile walk and finally have my life back!!!!!

3. foot268

foot268 New Member

Thank you for your help! I had surgery 4 weeks ago and your post really helped me set up prior to it. I hadn't thought about the toilet seat and I have to say I don't know what I would have done had I not followed your suggestion. With 2 metatarsal/cuniform fusions, tendon transfer for PTTD, calcaneous osteotomy, Gastroc, deep peroneal nerve neurolysis and ligament repair, I now have a "Frankenfoot" with 5 incisions. I had a great surgeon and am now completely off of narcotic pain meds and healing nicely. Back to work part time. Hoping to start PT in a couple of weeks. Once this foot recovers it is on to the other which is, unfortunately, equally as messed up. Again thank you so much for responding to my post.

4. stockton5878

stockton5878 New Member

I read your posts in search of help dealing with my up coming surgery [broken-missaligned 1st. metotarsal bone in right foot. I found it very interesting thanks for sharing good luck.

5. ergal55

ergal55 New Member

FOOT268, have you done both feet now.. i am 2 days post op with a metatarsal, cuniform fusion and the deep peroneal nerve neurolysis.. I was enlightened that you are back to work in 4 weeks..YAY.!!!!

6. foot268

foot268 New Member

Right foot was totally reconstructed July 22 and the doc went ahead and totally reconstructed my left Dec 9. The left foot PTT gave out and the Left had been in a boot since October (put into the boot 2 weeks after I had gotten out of a boot on my right). This time 6 incisions. It was in worse shape than my R! Went back to work part time with my scooter mid Jan and started PT this last week. Ouch! My R foot isn't 100% and with doing weight shifts to start putting weight on my left - not fun. However, I definitely am getting better each week so I can't complain too much. Doc told me what I was in for before this all began and knew this was going to be tough. I'm hoping to get back to work full time sometime within the next couple of weeks once I'm back comfortable on crutches again. Long process but I've got the best surgeon and physical therapist backing me up and I'll get there. Already I have to say that my feet don't "burn" anymore - big step (love using the word step) in the right direction.