1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Curly toes

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I am a 27 year old female with congential curly toes that have remained asymptomatic throughout my life up to two months ago. My fourth toes have the greatest deformity, although I do have promiment tailor's bunion's on both feet. I am an athlete: a competitive swimmer and fitness competitor, and my hobbies tend to err on the more rugged/active side as well so I do use my feet more than an average person. About two months ago I started to notice some pain in the area of my fourth toe on my right foot. The pain progressed despite bandaging the affected foot, wearing shoes with wide toe-boxes, and soaking it in epsom salt. About a week ago I inspected it closely, and found what appears to be a hole in the curvature of the curly toe from where it passes underneath the third toe. Today, that hole is bigger in circumference. There doesn't seem to be any infection: the area appears dry with no redness or warmth to the touch and the "wound" appears almost to be a concave grayish blister. It is markedly tender and the pain is very noticeable upon walking. I just recently broke my ankle in an accident, and also have a grade 2 quad tear and avulsion fracture from a soccer injury, so the thought of having to see a doctor yet again is tiresome but is this an imminent concern for my podiatrist? And is this a surgical issue? I've heard that non-surgical approaches such as splinting and/or taping are rarely effective, but I also cannot see myself living with this pain untreated.

Thanks for any help.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I suppose it's been a couple weeks, so I don't know if you're still waiting for a reply, but... Google "sore" or "skin ulcer" and you'll find it. Essentially, you were damaging deeper layers of skin than usual, which is why there's a hole. It may be gray rather than red from a lack of circulation. That's no proof that it isn't infected. If it still hasn't healed (mine sure wasn't healed in 2 weeks), make sure you go to a doctor for antibiotics.