foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Big Toe Fusion SUCCESS!

Old 3rd August 2011, 12:25 AM
A welcome new poster

Default Big Toe Fusion SUCCESS!

Hi Everyone,
I'm writing to let everyone know how pleased I am with the big toe fusion I had four months ago (March 2011). I am 63 years old. I am now able to walk w/o pain. I had a severely arthritic toe joint that had gotten progressively worse and more painful over the years. I am walking now for exercise, over a mile a day. I can now wear shoes I couldn't wear before - not HIGH heels, but 1-inch heels.
The recovery from this surgery does take patience, as I needed to be non-weight bearing for six weeks, and then there is a fairly long recovery period after the cast comes off, as the tendons that have been immobilized heal. But for me it was well worth it!
For anyone who is considering this surgery and is afraid, I would say go for it! My surgeon was a podiatric surgeon with Kaiser (in California) and he knew what he was doing. From what he told me, this surgery is still the gold standard for hallux rigidus. (Joint replacement surgeries have not yet been perfected and haven't had good results, according to my surgeon.)
I wish good foot health to everyone!
Old 6th September 2011, 04:23 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: Big Toe Fusion SUCCESS!

I had a big toe fusion on my right great toe in February and have never been in more pain. I always have pain, sometimes excruciating. I fear walking any distance. I take pain medication but I don't like it--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The doctor says the bone is not fusing as fast as it should. He had my buy a bone growth stimulator--what a joke! It even hurts to use that. I am an avid golfer, 61 years old. I have not played since Christmas. I swim laps every day, and that causes pain. As the day goes on, it gets worse. I feel like my life is ruined. I do not wish this on my worst enemy.
Sponsored Links
Old 15th January 2012, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Big Toe Fusion SUCCESS!

I am 41 and just had my rt big toe fused and a hammer toe fixed(fused as well). I am 3 wks into recovery and doing well but horrified at the same time. I don't feel like I had any other option but to fuse joints as my ortho said this was the best option. I like to be active and have a 5 year old daughter I want to enjoy. You would think with technology, they could have invented a joint replacement that was effective. I got 3 different opinions before electing for surgery and all three agreed fusion was my best option. I just want to be active again pain free!