foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

2 year old with toe injury.

Old 8th August 2011, 08:13 PM
A welcome new poster

Question 2 year old with toe injury.

So, I have never posted anything like this before but I will do my best to be as specific as I can. Just over 1 week ago one of my twins knocked a garden brick over onto his big toe at a family BBQ. We are in Canada and and are lucky to have access to medical care immediately. We made a trip to the ER where the Dr. took X-rays and determined that my son did break the tip of his big toe. Poor little guy. Anyways, that seems to be healing quite nicely and he has had very little pain other than in the first 2-3 days. Our issue has been with his toenail. He had quite alot of blood under his nail which drained on it's own over the course of about 3 days. We were informed that he would infact lose that nail but that a new nail should grow in pushing to old one off. Now here is where I am a little worried. The nail has detached from the nail bed and is hanging from the outside edge of his toe only. There are no signs of infection as of yet and no bleeding. Also he doesn't seem to have pain but I think it is uncomfortable for him. I cannot bring myself to trim it as it is barely hanging on and will fall off anytime now. So, for the time being I have opted to just bandage the nail over the nail bed (Spongebob Squarepants bandaids are amazing when you're 2) So After all this babbling on and on I guess my question is, have I made the right choice by leaving the nail on and also, once the nail comes off how do I care such a sensitive area as there is no new nail beginning to grow yet. Should I opt to keep it covered for a few days with a bandaid and polysporin or do I leave it to air out? Also, is there anything other than the obvious signs of infection to watch for that may warrant another trip to the Dr.?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my novel and any advice is very much appreciated.