1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sharp pain, outside sprained right foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by healingslowly, Aug 16, 2011.

1. So I rolled my right ankle at a friend's farm 2 weeks ago, went to a walk-in clinic and was diagnosed with a mild/moderate sprain. He told me to get a splint and then gave me PT referral (said to go if it felt worse after a few days).
    It started to feel better, the little swelling that occurred was gone (no bruising from the beginning), I wasn't limping anymore, etc. Now, however, I'm starting to feel a sharp pain that seems to originate from the middle of the outside of my foot. Right on the edge by the arch. The pain shoots through the whole side of my foot and I feel pain throughout the back calf muscle, my big toe, and directly across my foot from the suspected point of origin.
    It's fine when I'm walking; there's no limping. However, it hurts to the point of tears when I touch it or just let it sit. It feels like someone took a knife and stabbed it horizontally into the side of my foot. Sometimes I feel a numb/tingling sensation in my pinky toe. My ankle is still stiff/sore, but that's to be expected from a sprain. I just don't know if these sharp, stabbing pains are normal as well. My entire heal also feels bruised, although there is no discoloration.
    Could it just be a pinched nerve, or something more? I never used that PT referral considering it started to feel better, but my mom says I should go in and see what they think. But it's not their job to evaluate and diagnose, is it? Shouldn't I go back to the clinic instead?
    Thanks for your help!