1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Acute stabbing pain side of my foot helppp.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by kimbo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. kimbo

kimbo New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have had a Acute spasm pain in the side of my foot now for over 2 years and i am still trying to find out what this could be. I would be very grateful for anyone to help in this matter.
    This spasm is located at one point of my foot which is on the right outside (lateral) of my foot, at the end of my 5th metatarsal (little toe) Distal to the phalanx, near the area of the peroneus tertuis tendon.
    It is so painful i scream to the top of my voices and have passed out twice. It has left me with a permanent flickering feeling in my right leg that is very noticeable when lying down.
    The spasm has no pattern to it, but comes on mainly when resting or driving. Very few accessions when walking.
    It lasts for about 5 seconds and mostly repeats several times throughout time, the only time it has stopped is having a injection into the area. But this does not last long and the spasm will come back. I have had 3 injections now this year and i cannot have any more due to damaging the surrounding tissue.
    I am taking Amitriptyline now, and is helping reducing the severalty of the pain. But still have this flickering in my right leg.
    I have been to a foot consultant and cannot find anything wrong with the foot that could course this spasm via a MRI scan. I have had a ultrasound scan that showed a matron neuroma but to small to operate on and wouldn’t course this amount of pain and a spasm .
    I have had a nerve conduction and thought possible i could have Tassel tunnel syndrome, but again this wouldn’t course this spasm and also the consultant did not think i have this TTS.
    I was sent to a podiatrist who measured my feet and gave me insoles to ware, but i ended up getting Planter fasciitis! Which is hard to believe but it did!
    I have now been told by my doctor that this is coming from my back and to do some exercise to strengthen it . And come back in 3 months. But because of the length of time given by the doctor i decided to go to a private physio , he tested my back and gave me some positions to perform to see if it could be the sciatic nerve . It wasn’t, and said if it was this could not give you a stabbing pain in the side of my foot.
    I got back to my doctor, that i have to say wasn’t to pleased i went to him believing i did not trust her diagnoses . she still believes this is coming from my back, and after a long discussion is reluctantly sending me for a MRI scan on my back.
    So anyone out there had the same problems as me? Or does anyone have any idea what can course this?
    One of my thoughts it could be MS but my doctor will not send me to a neurologist.

2. Wes

Wes Guest

3. Wes

Wes Guest

Shooting pain at the outer middle line edge of foot can be caused by a pinched nerve in your hip region and is attributed to a tight piriformis muscle. The piriformis is a sacral-femur muscle used in external rotation and abduction. Look up Piriformis Stretch to alleviate pain. The stretch is one in which you lie on back and elevate knee and foot equally with a 90 degree bend in leg. The sensation you want is one in which you feel the stretch (tightness) on the outside of hip/buttock.

Another helpful stretch may be one in which you lie on your back and press your lumbar into the bed as you exhale. Repeat three times. Breathe in, and press and hold press for a few seconds. Relax and repeat. This will stretch another hip / low back muscle called the quadratus lumborum.

Next try another bed stretch while you lie on your back. Bring one knee up toward your waist and attempt to touch to the opposite side of the bed while attempting to keep your shoulders on the bed. You may use your hand(s) to lift, and press knee toward bed. This is a good lower back stretch. Attempt both sides to equally stretch both sides. You may experience one side being tighter than the other, and would suspect the foot pain side to be tighter.

One more hip stretch in from a sitting position and bringing your pain side knee to your chest by wrapping your hands/arms around the leg bellow the knee and pulling into the chest and across the centerline of the body (left toward right or right toward left). Each of these stretches will bring relief to a tight hip/low back muscles and alleviate foot/leg/hip pains.