foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Removal of plate and intramedullary srcew after ORIF 5th Metatarsal

Old 20th December 2011, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Default Removal of plate and intramedullary srcew after ORIF 5th Metatarsal

I was wondering if anyone out there had ORIF surgery of 5th metatarsal and later, after it healed, had their plate and intramedullary screw removed. My metal is bothering me. I couldn't find anywhere on the internet where they did so with the 5th metatarsal. If so how long after ORIF surgery was it removed. Thanks for any answers
Old 20th February 2012, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Removal of plate and intramedullary srcew after ORIF 5th Metatarsal

im screw removal after fifth metatarsal break....I was told at least four monthes after
properly healed.......anyone told something else? I'd like mine out now...still
have towait until April.....:-(
Sponsored Links
Old 25th February 2012, 04:53 AM
Unregistered

I just had mine removed one week ago. When I got the original surgery done, the surgeon had to use a washer along with the screw due to the size of the fragment. He told me that it might bother me, and he was right. It was a pretty quick procedure to remove it. It already feels much better. My original surgery was about six months ago.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:59 AM
Unregistered

I had an ORIF in 2001 for my 5th metatarsal fx with a plate and 6 screws. Tomorrow morning I am having the hardware removed due to constant foot pain during winter and changing months. This is a annoying pain that my Dr says will go away when the hardware is removed. Good luck to you !
Old 15th June 2012, 07:03 AM
Unregistered

Red face Re: Removal of plate and intramedullary srcew after ORIF 5th Metatarsal

I broke mine March 18. I had surgery April 18. My removal is set up for next month. im sooooo ready for it to come out i just want the pain to stop
Old 6th July 2012, 07:03 AM
Unregistered

I'm the person who started this thread. Finally in two weeks I'm going to have the plate and screws removed. Almost a year to the day from when I fractured my foot in July 2011. I will also have a tendon graft and an avulsion fracture of my lateral process of the talus repaired. The later two things I only recently found I had injured.

The only advice I can give someone and know that I am 100 percent correct about is that if a person is unfortunate enough to have an injury to your ankles or feet, that justifies seeing a doctor, they should make an appointment to see a highly qualified and highly recommended DOCTOR OF PODIATRY... ASAP. If I had done that one thing within a week of my injury it would have made all the difference. Not a Family Doctor and not an Orthopedic Doctor either.

I bet 99 out of 100 orthopedic doctors, if they had an injury to their ankles or feet, would go to a Podiatrist. That it....I'm done!

Heal Fast!
Old 30th June 2014, 06:31 AM
steelmagnoliabr

Wink Re: Removal of plate and intramedullary srcew after ORIF 5th Metatarsal

I have 4th and 5th metatarsal screws and rods. I was told I would have to wait 12 months after surgery before having them removed.