1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal base pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by hk417sfw, Dec 29, 2011.

1. hk417sfw

hk417sfw New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've just started training again properly and almost certainly have gone too hard too soon.

I do a lot of road running, swimming, intervals and runs/fast walks with a weighted backpack.

A few years ago I severely sprained my right ankle and have had always had weakish ankle ever since. I've done a lot of training on it since then but with no real problems.

After an 8 mile run on Monday I noticed a pretty bad pain in the base of the 5th metatarsal on my right foot (The bone on the outside of the foot midway between the little toe and heel). Since then It's been relatively painful to walk on; nothing severe but certainly noticeable. It has gotten better with stretching and icing over the last 2 days but I can still feel it's there.

I believe it is due to overuse and tight calves (which I have also always had an issue with).

Should I just continue with stretching and icing, and lay off it for a few more days? I need to be back training again ASAP but I don't want to cause further problems.

TBH I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, could it just be a bruised bone?

Any input greatly appreciated.

2. hk417sfw

hk417sfw New Member

I will be going to see a professional about this next week, but I'm pretty anxious about it (as I'm sure anyone training seriously for something will agree with) so any help/info/words of wisdom really would be appreciated.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had an 5th metatarsal base fracture and I couldn't put weight on my foot without severe pain and a severe limp. But I guess sometimes a person can get a 5th met stress fx. Which is an over use fx. and still walk normally.
    It sucks and I feel bad for you. But all the people that are on this website can do is tell you what happened to them. You don't yet know what your injury is. There is 3 or 4 tendons and 3 ligaments that attach on or very close to the base of the 5th metatarsal. I don't mean to sound cruel but there's not a thing a reasonable person can tell you in this forum about your injury, as it stands.
    BTW this is only advice but I saw two orthopedic surgeons who did nothing to help me with my foot fracture and then I finally saw a podiatrist. If you are an athlete I would suggest seeing a podiatrist. A Doctor of Ankles and Feet. But that's just my opinion.............You have to have patiences also. It sucks but its true.