1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

top of foot pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I've been to the podiatrist twice for localized pain/swelling on the top of my foot. On my first visit, x-rays showed no fracture. Anti-inflamatory meds were prescribed and I was told to wear my good athletic shoes only and rest. 2 weeks later, I returned to the doc. An orthodic device was given suspecting a neuroma, prednisone was prescribed and I was told to wear my boot if this didn't work. I've taken the med and been wearing my boot. Today I return to the doc. The pain/swelling is better, but still there. I still cannot wear closed shoes. I feel that after 6 weeks it should be much better. Do you think another x-ray should be done? An MRI? I am a very active, thin 50 year old female, in good health. I'm very frustrated with this. Any advice? Do people wear these sexy boots forever?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I don't understand the suspected diagnosis of a neuroma, as neither pain on the top of the foot nor swelling is characteristic of that condition. If anything, I might consider a stress fracture. This type of fracture is often not seen on x-ray for a couple of weeks or more after its occurrence, although it should have pretty much healed in 6 weeks. In the absence of any other information, I would a think that a repeat x-ray would likely be in order, as even a healed stress fracture should be visible by now. I don't understand where a boot came into this. As I read your post, you say that you were told to wear athletic shoes only . . and then you mention wearing (I assume) a surgical boot and that is not consistent with wearing an orthotic device. So, I am confused by the series of events, or at least your relating of them. I think you need a diagnosis before any prognosis can be offered.