1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Right Big Toe Prolonged Pain and Swelling

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by GPG13, Mar 29, 2012.

1. GPG13

GPG13 Guest

I am an avid hiker and I felt a stabbing pain in the upper joint of my big toe periodically after hiking. It didn't seem to be directly connected to any other part of my foot and it came and went in a matter of seconds--I didn't think much of it and there was no visual problem.

About three weeks ago after hiking in the evening without incident or pain I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore toe. Being hardheaded I hiked that evening in some pain-- visually I saw nothing significantly wrong with my toe.

That night I woke up again with significantly more pain. The next day the top joint of my toe was quite swollen. I shut down walking and stayed off it for a few days but it got no better and in fact the pain in the middle of the night that woke me up got worse.

I went to a family doctor who suspected gout. He gave me anti-inflammatories. After the blood test results came in he told me my uric acid levels were normal and that I did not have to gout.

It has now been three weeks since it started and it isn't much better. I have pain in the sesamoid region when I walk but it is not overwhelming. The toe has localized swelling on the top left that never goes down (it's my right foot). Bending the toe up is harder than bending it down.

It's hard to find much information about an ailment that is mostly concentrated at the top joint of the toe.

Is there any insight out there?