foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Grade 3 ankle sprain

Closed Thread

Old 13th September 2008, 04:24 AM
Unregistered

Default Grade 3 ankle sprain

why is it that someone who experiences a G.3 or severe ankle sprain will expierence little pain.
Old 13th September 2008, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Grade 3 ankle sprain

That would not be a likely scenario unless one has either a sensory deficit or a world class pain tolerance.
Old 15th January 2009, 07:13 AM
Unregistered

It happened to me a couple of weeks ago and it was extremely painful, i think you got that one wrong
Old 15th January 2009, 12:33 PM

Are you opining that the original poster did NOT have a grade 3 sprain or that he/she is mistaken and DID have severe pain? I think the former more likely.
Old 5th February 2009, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

after falling down a flight of stairs i went to the er and was given an aircast and crutches and told to stay off the ankle for 1 week. it has been 2 1/2 weeks and still can't bear any weight. the ankle is still very painful with any movement is is still swollen. is there something else i should be doing for my ankle? the aircast doesnt seem to be doing anything
Old 5th February 2009, 07:55 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
You have posted your question under the topic of Grade 3 Ankle Sprain, which is the most severe category of such an injury. The treatment advised, especially without referring you for followup, would seem to indicate that it was likely not diagnosed as such. Depending on their severity, sprains of the ankle can be anything from merely a temporary nuisance to a life-changing permanent injury. The appropriate measures which should have been taken immediately are generally, rest, elevation and controlled and judicious use of ice and compression. An accurate assessment of the damage inflicted and its severity is essential in determining both its treatment and prognosis. Most ER's are not manned (or womaned) by doctors equipped to make anything but cursory judgments of such injuries, and I would recommend that, if not already done, either an orthopedist or a podiatrist skilled in ankle injuries be consulted as soon as possible for a response to your issues.

Last edited by FootDoc; 5th February 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

i was told it was a severe sprain in the er. i did f/u with a orthopedist on monday who said to continue using crutches and an aircast and scheduled an mri for early next week(sorry i didnt include that). but i'm still wondering if an aircast is sufficient support.i feel like even when walking on crutches my ankle can move around. if i do have a grade 3 sprain how long is it typically before i will be able to bear weight, and are there other treatments besides crutches and aircast that should be used?
Old 5th February 2009, 10:11 PM

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
Please understand that I can only offer you general information which may or more likely may NOT specifically relate your individual case, and should in no way be taken as something on which you might rely to the point of acting on it. As you are under the care of an orthopedist, it would be foolish of you to not direct your question to him/her and instead rely on anything I might offer without full knowledge of your situation.

But in general, I can offer again that an accurate hands-on assessment and classification of an ankle sprain is essential to any meaningful discussion of treatment and prognosis. A severe sprain, in my view, might be thought of either as a considerable Grade II or a Grade III injury. A grade II sprain involves damage to and perhaps partial tearing of one or more ligaments of the ankle joint, generally causing a good deal of pain and swelling, but with essential maintenance of joint stability. A grade III ankle sprain generally involves the complete tearing of the ligament or ligaments with resulting pain and swell and generally some loss of joint stability. Although difficult to assess initially without an anesthetic block due to pain and swelling, the drawer and talar tilt tests and stress x-rays are often useful in determining joint stability or lack thereof. It would be irresponsible of me, with such limited knowledge of your injury condition, to attempt to advise you when you might bear weight. That must be determined by the attending doctor. I assume your orthopedist made an appropriate assessment as to whether surgical intervention is required, as that is generally best performed within a very short time of the injury when it is indicated. The real long-term question in any Grade III sprain, if that's what you have, is what sort of ankle instability is likely to result, and what needs to be done now to mitigate and limit it as well as possible. You should be aware that when ligaments are torn, unless they are adequately surgically repaired, and even sometimes if they are, that their function will always be compromised to some degree, and that one may well be pre-disposed to future sprains. When chronic joint instability occurs, various procedures, often involving re-routing of tendons to provide the necessary stabilization may be entertained. But most of this is well beyond where you are today. Timely physical therapy, as determined by the attending, is often an essential aspect of rehabilitation after most severe ankle sprains.

I have attempted to provide a general and cursory review of some of the aspects of treatment of ankle sprains. Again I caution you that they are not intended to be necessarily applicable to your individual case and that you should receive definitive information upon which you will act only from your own doctor.

Last edited by FootDoc; 5th February 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 24th August 2009, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

Question Re: Grade 3 ankle sprain

I would just like to point out, that on most of the websites i have visited. Looking up about my sprained ankle, such as Bupa etc. they have said that the Grade Three sprain would feel pain when the immediately did it, put would experience pain afterwards.

I can vouch for that as i was told by the hospital that i had severely sprained my ankle, and it doesn't seem to be that painful.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:32 AM
Unregistered

I just experienced a grade 3 ankle sprain, and out of all my injuries it was hands down the most painful. I had a tear in my rotator cuff that was 5 1/2 cm,dislocated my knee 9 times and tore several (3 of the 4) muscles in my hamstring due to my SI joints being out. The ankle sprain was nearly unbearable. I don't think you have a grade 3 ankle sprain. I also went to the ER and they said the pain of a severe ankle sprain is one of the worst pains out there.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:16 AM
softball<3

im 16 and ,i have a complete tear and a partial tear of my ligiments in my ankle, i had an MRI to conferm. i did it while playing softball rolling my ankle over a base. i sat out for an inning and them went back in to pitch it felt weird. thats when i went to go get my MRI. i feel no pain at all unless i lean back on it. i can also walk on it. doc told me it was a grade 3 ankle sprain. so i know how u feel with the whole no pain thing.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: Grade 3 ankle sprain

I've had ankle problems my entire 24 yr life. But lately my Right Ankle just seems so weak. Almost daily it gives out on me and I end up spraining/rolling it and at that poit it is very, very painful. But, once I sit down and relax I don't feel it anymore unless I try the same old ankle exercises of movements. Could this be a Grade 3 ankle sprain or am i just being dumb?
Old 17th May 2010, 10:10 PM

A Grade III ankle sprain is an acute traumatic event which would be etched in your memory. If you don't remember such an injury, my guess is that you either have dementia or you never had one.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:17 PM
Unregistered

If you indeed have a third degree ankle sprain (a complete tearing of the ligaments) then you have nerve damage. At first it hurts a lot but the pain subsides after several hours. The pain returns after about 10 days.

I had a third degree sprain three sprain three weeks ago. It was extremely painful for the first several hours followed by little pain for the next ten days along with numbness, tingling and instability. The pain has returned though.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:51 PM

Although frequently accused of otherwise, I really have no problem with former sufferers of a particular condition relating their own personal experiences. But I DO have a problem with such posters relating their anecdotes with suggestions that their experiences are necessarily typical and that they represent a meaningful response to the specific questions of others. The poster here clearly offered a personal experience which has no particular bearing on what another patient is likely to experience, and as such, commentary such as that should be taken with a grain of salt, as a hundred different sufferers would likely have almost as many different experiences. On the other hand, a doctor who has treated many, many such cases can draw from his/her experience and relate as to what the nominal course is likely to be, though even that is but an educated guess when predicting the course of any individual situation.

Last edited by FootDoc; 19th May 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Last Saturday I fell down a few steps and landed on the outer part of my right foot and it went "in". I heard a snap and immediately thought I broke my ankle. the swelling appeared on the outer/upper part of my foot just below the joint bone. I went directly to the ER and was told that I have a "clean" break of the fibula (just a chip), but there was no mention about a sprain. I'm waiting on a deferral appt with an OS. The pain went away after the first day and I've only felt a few tinges here and there. I've kept off it, elevated and iced it. I'm single in a two story condo with a dog...so it's very frustrating. My work has been amazing and is letting me work from home.

Anyway, I've done so much research on the internet and believe I may have experienced a grade 3 sprain since I heard a snap and the discoloring of the foot. The swelling has gone down immensly though. I'm curious what the OS will say. I pray there will be no surgery involved but I'm really worried about the tendons.
Old 26th May 2010, 04:27 AM

Although sitting at my computer, I certainly can't tell you if you suffered a sprain and if so what grade, but grading cannot be done by the criteria you've mentioned. An adequate examination in the ER should have determined what if any collateral damage occurred. Research on the Internet may be good for general information but is a poor substitute for a good examination by a skilled doctor.
Old 26th May 2010, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

Foot Doc, I agree about the internet searching, but it is comforting to go on the internet and see that there are others out there who have suffered/experienced the same thing. I think that's what it does mostly.

I'm definitely waiting on the OS's diagnosis. I was told today by TRICARE that my referral was put in as urgent and I should hear something by tomorrow or Friday.

My main concern is the long term ramifications of this injury. I'm very active (not in sports) but in general, workouts, light weight lifting and then things like hiking and walking. I hear horror stories of how people have suffered long after their injuries. So I'm just praying that I did not do anything so damaging as for that to happen.

It was just nice to find this msg board and it's nice that you are here just to quell people's fears and give some general advice.

Thanks!
Old 26th May 2010, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

I rolled my ankle three weeks ago the ortho serg said it was a gr 3 sprain he casted me. since then my foot has continued to swell and ache as a result the fiberglass cast was removed and an air cast has been place on my leg. The swelling still persists is this normal?? The pain seems to be worst up and down my calf now this is driving me crazy. I have had approx 20 x-rays to the ankle and no brake has been found. Just wondering if it will ever get better
Old 6th June 2010, 03:58 AM
Unregistered

I had a grade 3 sprain. Tears to ATFL, CFL, Deltoid, AITFL, PITFL, talo-navicular(?) etc, avulsion fracture, tendon damage & bone bruising.

AT first the pain was immense - from half way up my leg to my toes. I couldnt move any of my leg for 10mins or so, then it started to go numb & was numb for a while longer.

SO technically you can have a grade 3 sprain and not experience any pain - but maybe only just for a small period of time. Because the pain comes back with a vengence!
Old 11th June 2010, 04:38 AM
Unregistered

I sprained my ankle about 3 months ago. It didn't hurt that bad when I rolled my ankle and I just iced it a little bit and tried to return to running a few days later. I ran on it for about a week and then decided that it just didn't feel right. I went to a podiatrist who told me that I had a mild sprain, to "stay off of it" and gave me no further instruction (and actually diagnosed my injury without even touching my foot!). I continued to walk on my ankle to get from Point A to Point B, since the Dr. didn't give me crutches or a boot or anything.

I knew that my ankle wasn't right after about three weeks into the injury and decided to see a sports medicine orthopaedic dr. He also said it was a sprain and sent me to physical therapy for a month and gave me a brace. Physical therapy was a little painful, especially under and around my ankle bone and definitely did not solve the problem.

I had my follow-up appt. with the doc and a subsequent MRI... that showed that I had completely torn my ATFL and had partially torn my CFL. At this point, my peroneal tendons are acting up too. Which sucks to say the least.

Anyways, my point to this story was to share my experience. I too have a 3rd grade sprain and did not suffer any serious pain at the time of my injury. I just wish that I could get some help from a Dr. that actually cares!
Old 25th June 2010, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

I have one torn ligament and a partial tear in another. Dr. put me in a boot/cast for three weeks, but I personally didn't feel that much pain, don't get me wrong, it hurt but I was able to limp right after the sprain occurred to see the onsite nurse (she gave ibuprofen and to ice and elevate my ankle) and the next day I was able to actually walk on it. My ankle looked really bruised, thuogh, and then the swelling seemed to move throughout my foot. That's when the ordered the MRI. But I don't feel a whole lot of pain. It looks worse than it feels. It's different for other people I guess.
Old 29th June 2010, 02:38 AM
Unregistered

Well I am glad that you were able to get an MRI even though it wasn't good news. At least now you know what you're dealing with!

Maybe we just have higher than average pain tolerances or something... who knows. Anyways, good luck with the ankle. Do you think you are going to opt for surgery yet or are you just going to do the physical therapy route? If you don't do surgery, then make sure you do physical therapy so that the scar tissue won't heal all funky! (I'm sure you know this already...)

My ankle is still "there" to say the least. I want to run SO badly, but it hurts too much and I don't want anything to break! Ugh...

Take good care of your ankle... they aren't like kidneys- you need both to survive.
Old 30th June 2010, 01:24 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Grade 3 ankle sprain

Hey. I currently have a grade 3 sprain. It was absolute agony!! I have dislocated both shoulders, rotator cough tear and a cracked sternum but none of that was even close!!

Because I'm in the UK the NHS is crap and waiting for an MRI to confirm. The swelling has gone down (been one week) and is now bruising. But there is one 'lump' that is a little worrying which hasn't gone down. I have extreme instability and just about bareable pain.

It SUCKS!!!!!
Old 1st July 2010, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

I definitely agree... it sucks!!
Old 11th July 2010, 06:16 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for your support. Hope you're running soon. Surgery never crossed my mind and I don't think the Dr. will recommend it either. He just said to keep the boot/cast on for three weeks and that'll be the next time I'll see him. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to work the next day.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Grade 3 ankle sprain

I recently suffered a Grade 3 ankle sprain as well. I went to see my doctor after two days, no break seen. Air-cast and anti-inflammatory meds were given. I took 3 days off work and was off my ankle for only 2. Swelling and pain both come and go with activity, now I am having pains shooting up under my knee. One day I woke from a dead sleep with all of my toes and ankle area burning like when you have Sciatica. Also I have what I call become clumsy, like tripping over my foot. I have no choice but to work with four children and college myself. Going back to the doc tomorrow but it is very painful. Anyone else ever had a burning sensation with a grade 3 sprain?
Old 26th August 2010, 02:30 PM
Foot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I recently suffered a Grade 3 ankle sprain as well. I went to see my doctor after two days, no break seen. Air-cast and anti-inflammatory meds were given. I took 3 days off work and was off my ankle for only 2. Swelling and pain both come and go with activity, now I am having pains shooting up under my knee. One day I woke from a dead sleep with all of my toes and ankle area burning like when you have Sciatica. Also I have what I call become clumsy, like tripping over my foot. I have no choice but to work with four children and college myself. Going back to the doc tomorrow but it is very painful. Anyone else ever had a burning sensation with a grade 3 sprain?
A Grade III ankle sprain is a serious injury. If correctly graded, it means that the ligaments were torn. A fracture not involving the joint structures may have been an injury with a better long-term prognosis. At any rate, the treatment should be well supervised and closely followed by your doctor and some sort of physical therapy will likely be required to return you to optimum function. Inadequate resolution now can predispose you to chronic re-injuries, ankle instability and a lifetime of problems. keep close contact with your doctor and be assured that you have chosen one well-versed in ankle trauma.

FOOT DOC
Old 27th September 2010, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

I'm so glad I was able to read all of these posts, there is a lot of great information and I had a lot of questions. This is my first time spraining my ankle and went to a military er, they said I had no broken bones, but it would almost would of been better if I had because bones receive more blood supply than tendons, or ligaments, I forgot which one she said, but doctor didn't tell me what sprain I had, only that I had tore three of them. This has been so painful, and I had no Idea that I would bruise all the way up my leg and around my whole foot to include my toes,, I was told to RICE and sent home with crutches.
Old 6th December 2010, 05:44 AM
Unregistered

message for the foot doc , last tusday i got kicked in the bottom of my foot at footbal , it had a bit of swelling had a bit of a limp for a few days, nothing to serious, however on saturday i stepped off a curb funny on the side of ma ankle completely , it swollen up ma whole foot and the foot is bendig inwards towards my other foot , ive had my foot up for over a week now , the swelling has gone down but what im worried about is , i stil cant move the foot at all (the joint from the ankle to the foot), i can move the toes thats it is that normal ?, and also my leg from the ankle to half way to my knee is yellow through the bruising i think is this normal too ?
quite simlar to the comment above

look forward to the reply thanks
Closed Thread