foot health forum  
Discususion and Information on Foot Problems

Go Back   Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum > Main > Ask your questions here

Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14th September 2008, 08:27 PM
taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

My daughter, now 14, was born with club foot. Casting did some correcting but eventually, at 8 months, she had surgery. She has been a very active child, playing soccer, basketball and track. For about the last 2 years she has complained about pain in her foot along the middle toe to her ankle. She cannot put weight on her foot so she is walking on the side keeping her toes raised. I took her to the surgeon who did her surgery when she was little and with the xrays, he indicated that the bone from the middle toe was "thicker" than normal but it shouldn't be a problem and prescribed an insert for her to wear in her shoe. Today, she is still having the same problems. I took her to our family doctor and she was told to "tie her shoe". It was suggested that her toes are working to hard to keep her shoe from slipping off; however, like I said, she plays soccer, has to have her cleats tied correctly or it will fly along with the ball when she kicks.....I'm planning on contacting Children's Orthopedic in Seattle tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has had something similar happen with them self or a child who had club foot corrected with surgery.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14th September 2008, 10:06 PM
FootDoc FootDoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
************************************************** *********
As with most deformities, the nature of the type correction required for a club foot is totally dependent upon the degree of deformity. Also, I would suggest that not everyone who assumes he/she has had a club foot actually had one which meet the strict definition of same. Reading your post, I am not at all certain that the toe problems which you describe are necessarily the result of a club foot or its treatment many years ago. I would suggest that anyone who has to walk on the side of the foot and is unable to bear weight in a normal manner probably should not be subjecting herself to the stresses of athletics unless she is willing to accept secondary damage which may be recalcitrant to treatment. I think that you would be wise to receive your information from the Children's Orthopedic clinic to which you will be taking your daughter rather than from either lay persons who might respond to your post or even a doctor who treats such problems and who would be demonstrating irresponsibility by opining without benefit of actual knowledge of the case obtained through professional examination.
__________________
Foot Doc
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 28th September 2008, 09:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Hi I am currently having the same problem. I had my clubfoot surgery when I was 3. I have played many sports throughout childhood, high school, and college. I was pain free until I was 14 years old. That pain was mild and I suffered though it. I am now at age 21 experiencing much more moderate pain and limp regularly. I have pain after walking and running. Did you find any solution to your daughter's pain? If so, plmk. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1st November 2008, 06:45 PM
marksmom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Footdoc, I've read all of your posts on the clubfoot subject, and I appreciate the fact that you are trying to steer people to qualified professionals for medical opinions, but I think this forum is a great place that people can find out about different alternatives. It would really help me to understand what some other mom's of kids with clubfoot have gone through and where they have found answers, and it seems as though you are discouraging the sharing of this info. I think that's what the one writer you called sarcastic meant. Your info isn't really that helpful...we all know that we should talk with our doctors. I am not a qualified professional, but I want to share my experience and see if I can elicit information from others.

My son was born with clubfoot. We started the weekly stretching and casting when he was 1 week old. That didn't work, so, when he was 4 months old, we had the surgery where the Achilles tendon was cut--2 surgeries a week apart--one for each foot. They cast him and put pins in. Another surgery was done when he was 8 months old to remove the pins.

This has worked relatively well. My son developed normally and has been able to lead a fairly normal, athletic life. He is 13 now, and has suffered with on-and-off foot pain for the last few years. He has slowly stopped most of the athletics that he has participated in because of the pain, but he still seems to do the normal 13-year-old boy things. His doctor has told us that there's not a lot that he can do for the pain. He suggested wearing inserts, and they do not help my son.

My son walks with a limp most of the time. His feet look deformed (although they look much less deformed than they did at birth). He complains of pain more and more. I would like to know if any of you have found ways to help the pain. Are there more advanced orthotics than inserts that have helped? What did the doctor in Seattle say about the pain? Does physical therapy help, and what type of doctor gives the physical therapy? Does it help to see a podiatrist? I am very interested in any ways that you have helped your kids reduce, eliminate, or work through the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1st November 2008, 09:46 PM
FootDoc FootDoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

What I would suggest to you, if your goals are as you have stated, is that you find instead a "support" forum where such interactions as you describe, which are often replete with lay advice and opinion, but often merely anecdotal and devoid of medical and scientific accuracy are routinely offered. I see my purpose here as offering scientifically-based information of a general nature, which is not merely anecdotal, which is intended for the general education of the reader and which does not represent something which can necessarily be then appropriately and/or safely applied to one's individual situation. I believe that I have the responsibility as a professional to point out that following lay advice and/or lay interpretations of what doctors might have said or how they may have treated other patients is fraught with potential risk if taken as fact by another in his/her case. To that end, and only in light of the potential risks as I see them, you are correct that I DO discourage that sort of sharing, though I clearly have no power to enforce my opinions to those who do not wish to accept them.
__________________
Foot Doc
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27th February 2009, 11:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I think the "Foot Doc" has some sort of chip on his shoulder. Many doctors recommend support groups such as this. I also think he is rude. I am sure that everyone understands that every case is different but it is comforting to reach out to others that have similar issues.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th March 2009, 04:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Hello,

Yes some support groups are extremely helpful for chronic pain participants. However, some issues are so complex and delicate that it is extremely risky to use the advice of laypeople to full advantage. Most of us have suffered for years and we are starving for answers and a lot of real help. In the end it's up to each and every one of us to do our research and understand, as-best-we-can, our choices.

We can only do that by bouncing back and forth between the concerned opinion of family, friends, laypeople, and trusted professionals. Also, independent research and study is critical to good decisionmaking! In the final analysis, we must decide which option is best for us.

Good Luck to all of us.

Melody Musette
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:52 AM
jenna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I have club foot and had surgery at 6 months old, i am now 20 and am experiencing a great deal of pain on the side of my ankle that shoots up to my lower calf. It never bothered me when i was younger, but the pain is so intense that i constantly limp and miss out on being active in the summer. The only thing that has helped me is a b-12, and anti-inflammatory that my podiatrist gave me. She said it was my nerves constantly getting the pressure from my bones being deformed. I got 2 so far and am feeling a great relief from my pain. Another thing that has helped a great deal is acupuncture. I have been getting needless acupuncture and my pain is gone, i can walk for long periods of time and nothing comes back. I guess its just living with a deformity and coming to realize that you will need special treatment for the rest of your life..and always making sure to give your feet special attention like a hot bath or a massage, even seeing a chiropractor to adjust the bones in your feet. I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20th April 2009, 02:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I have a son (12) who had corrective surgery on his right club foot at 6 months. He is experiencing much pain and I am seeing his orthopedist this week. Anyone in the same situation can contact me @ cjwitz at america online dot com. or facebook: janice mitchell hurowitz.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25th April 2009, 07:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Hi,

My daughter had club feet when she was born. She had casts put on at a week old. At 4 months she had surgery. At about 9 months she finally got to take off her casts for good. She turned 12 this year. She as also been active in sports since she was little. About a year ago, her feet (left foot especially) started to "turn out". I don't really know how to explain....but if you were laying on your bed and you looked at your feet and they looked like a letter "V" that is how her feet now look when she is standing up. So her feet form a "V instead of "l l". Anyway...it just seems to be getting more "V" looking all the time. I had X-rays done this week and the Dr. said that her middle bones were off to the side. He said that all the bones were there (only one of her feet bones were bigger that it should have been) but he referred me to a specialist. I am going to call and make an appointment this week.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 5th May 2009, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Hi Everyone,

I was born with a club foot. From what I've been told they put a cast on it and that was that.

For the last 10 years, I'm almost 39 now (YIKES), I've had periodic pain. A doctor wanted to do surgery eight years ago but I declined his offer. I've tried the physical therapy, orthodics, stretching, acupuncture, wearing orthopedic shoes all the time... yada yada yada and nothing worked. About four years ago someone suggested I try Rolfing. It worked!

Now I am back to taking yoga, martial arts, and spinning with an occasion Rolfing appoint to keep me pain free.

But I must warn you, Rolfing, though described as a deep tissue massage is, well, lets just say that during my first appointment I could have jumped off the table and strangled the guy. But I stuck with it and am so happy I did. During that first appointment I could feel the sensation returning to my two outer toes on that foot. It was amazing.

Good luck to all of you and I hope your children get to a point where they can live pain free. As a parent I know there is nothing worse than see your child suffer and not being able to fix it.

Peace
RK-Santa Fe, NM
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by taniejay View Post
My daughter, now 14, was born with club foot. Casting did some correcting but eventually, at 8 months, she had surgery. She has been a very active child, playing soccer, basketball and track. For about the last 2 years she has complained about pain in her foot along the middle toe to her ankle. She cannot put weight on her foot so she is walking on the side keeping her toes raised. I took her to the surgeon who did her surgery when she was little and with the xrays, he indicated that the bone from the middle toe was "thicker" than normal but it shouldn't be a problem and prescribed an insert for her to wear in her shoe. Today, she is still having the same problems. I took her to our family doctor and she was told to "tie her shoe". It was suggested that her toes are working to hard to keep her shoe from slipping off; however, like I said, she plays soccer, has to have her cleats tied correctly or it will fly along with the ball when she kicks.....I'm planning on contacting Children's Orthopedic in Seattle tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has had something similar happen with them self or a child who had club foot corrected with surgery.
HELLO, my name is Samantha and I am seventeen years old and I was born with a servere club foot and I had four surgeries to have it corrected. When I was five years old my grand father put me in a karate class cause the doctor recommended that I try it out. He said that the class would help strengthen the muscles in my leg. The class was outstanding and I would recommend anybody with the same disability as me to join. I was a patient at Shriners Hospital for Children in Greenville South Carolina ever since I was born and I must say I have nothing but good things to say about them. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be walking or even able to do half the stuff I do today. My little brother has a club foot but not as srevere as my condition. He only had to have two surgeries on his and he walks just fine. I would recommend you Check Shriners Hospital out. They will help your daughter I promise. If you want to know more just give me a call @ 828-693-8865 and I will be more than happy to tell you more.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:57 PM
Samantha
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Hello my name is Samantha and I am a seventeen year old young lady who was born with a surviere club foot and I had four surgeries on it to have it corrected. When I was five years old Shriners Hospital refered me to go do Karate and I was in it for nine and a half years on and off and overall it really helped me physically. I think your daughter will be fine. Just take her to see her pediatric doctor and tell them about how bad the pain is and they should help her. Shriners Hospital works with children with physical disabilities like mine and your daughter's. If you want to know more than feel free to give me a call @828-693-8865. and I will be glad to tell you more.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12th July 2009, 03:28 AM
Tia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Hi My name is Tia, and I'm 12, almost thirteen. I was born with pretty severe club foot and wore casts for about 7 months. I've always been a really active kid, and I play soccer, but the last 2-3 months I have had pain in my foot/ankle. I'm usually a really fast runner, but I can barely walk when this pain comes. It comes on and off, but mainly when I'm involved with any physical activity. Sometimes the pain is so bad I cannot even stand, and I consider myself and my family and friends consider me a pretty tough kid, I don't cry when I fall, or when I stub my toe, or if I hit my head (and trust me I hurt myself a lot, I'm super clumsy and accident prone) but the pain is sometimes so but I cant stop myself from crying. Please, if ANYONE knows an answer to this problem, or a way to make this pain go away WITHOUT surgery, please contact me at tia604@yahoo.com I will try anything.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14th July 2009, 12:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I am a 22 year old guy and have experienced a lot of what you are all talking about. I worked for a place called foot levelers for a couple years and found that the stabilizers they sell dont completely take the pain away, but really helped me when I started working out and jogging. They are a little pricey but they scan your foot and are completely custom. I have worn the little wedge inserts that doctors give and they are too uncomfortable. Foot Levelers is sold through chiropractors so it may be something to look at. I am no doctor, but this is one thing that helped me. I bought the elite xs pair and I dont wear shoes without them. My email address is alex_vanmeter@hotmail.com if anyone wants to know more. I dont work for foot levelers anymore but would recommend the product to anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24th July 2009, 09:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I too had club foot as a baby and when I was one years old, I had the surgery to correct it. Well 27 years later, here I am, mother of four, wife to one and an avid Softball player. I now have heel spurs which really really bother me, but Crocs shoes seem to help out alot. However, my left ankle on the foot I had my surgery on is in constant pain. The pain comes and goes. It will hurt for a few weeks then will leave. But the pain is unbearable. When I run that is the worst pain ever!! And when I walk it hurts, the only time it doesnt hurt is when I'm sitting down, not on my feet. I have no idea on what to do. My podiatrist says that he thinks they moved my tendons around so I have limited usage on my foot. So basically when I bend my foot, walking, running, it is putting pressure on the tendon they had to cut and move. I can't rotate my foot around like my other foot. I just want to know if anyone else feels the pain like I do. And if you do, what do you do to take the pain away! Here is my email pedro.lorraine@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30th July 2009, 04:27 AM
Richard MOnk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I am a 42 yrs old male who was born with right club foot. I had many surgeries since age 3 weeks to 5 yrs. and went thru the casts and physiotherapy routine. Since I can remember I have always had some pain in my foot if I strain it, I have to watch my weight so it is almost sure that if I get over my ideal weight the "pain" alarm on my foot will go off, and even though I can do mostly any activity I don't get involved in sports that demand too much use of this foot. I prefer swimming or walking rather than jogging, for example. It is a matter of knowing that if you were born with club foot and can do mostly any activity after treatment, you have to take care of it and bear in mind that you have to come to terms with the fact that this foot (or both feet), are corrected from a deformity and may hurt if you don't take that into account when you choose to perform some sports or physical activity.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 8th August 2009, 08:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I too had club foot as a baby and when I was one years old, I had the surgery to correct it. Well 27 years later, here I am, mother of four, wife to one and an avid Softball player. I now have heel spurs which really really bother me, but Crocs shoes seem to help out alot. However, my left ankle on the foot I had my surgery on is in constant pain. The pain comes and goes. It will hurt for a few weeks then will leave. But the pain is unbearable. When I run that is the worst pain ever!! And when I walk it hurts, the only time it doesnt hurt is when I'm sitting down, not on my feet. I have no idea on what to do. My podiatrist says that he thinks they moved my tendons around so I have limited usage on my foot. So basically when I bend my foot, walking, running, it is putting pressure on the tendon they had to cut and move. I can't rotate my foot around like my other foot. I just want to know if anyone else feels the pain like I do. And if you do, what do you do to take the pain away! Here is my email pedro.lorraine@yahoo.com
I feel your pain litteraly, I am a 39 year old male father of 2 who had corrective operations on both legs as a child. I suffer from the same ankle pain today as you. I have limited range of motion and if I bang my foot even slightly I am in severe pain for 2 days. I to am looking for some kind of solution as well. Please let me know hat you find out. Although you are suffering you are not alone with your pain and fustration. Just reading all of these responses is oddly comforting to me that others are experiencing similar scenarios. I wish you good health. shadej@harborfieldscsd.org
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24th August 2009, 04:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I am a 32 year old male, born with two severe club feet. I underwent several surgeries as a child and have always been involved in sports. Now days I spend a great deal of time hiking. If I spend one day hiking I'll be in great pain for the next day. You learn to live with it. I completed a police academy at age 25, 5-7 miles of running a day. The most impotant factor is my weight; the less weight the less pain. High dollar shoe inserts did little for me however a boot with good ankle support is critical.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 1st September 2009, 06:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I feel moved to reply with my story, it is by no means advice. I was born with two severe clubbed feet in 1970. My mother tried many, many alternative solutions including Rolfing, acupuncture, casting and corrective footwear. It wasn't until I was 5 that someone firmly told her that I should get corrective surgery. I spent 6+ months as an inpatient of Shriner's Hospital, San Francisco (now defunct).

I had to learn to walk many times, each requiring physical therapy and patience on both the part of my mother and myself. I spent many months/years in a variety of casts, and finally leg braces from just below the knee through grammar school.

My records are unavailable at this point, and I am curious what surgical procedures they did. All I have for clues are the structure of bone and tendon and my scars.

After the braces came off, I led a fairly active life, with the exception of regular ankle sprains. I would frequently sprain my ankle requiring ace bandages to limit mobility and a minimum of 3 weeks on crutches. I am now 39 years old and have chronic pain in both feet... but slightly different from side to side, as well as an ebb and flow of severity from side to side. Every few years I find that the pain is more severe in the 'other' foot.

Interestingly enough, I am very much in tune with my body and can tell the the right side is more tendon related, while the left seems more bone or cartilage related. At his point, I live in a pain level of 2, and it spikes to what I consider a 9, as I can imagine worse pains, however, it can be debilitating.

Pain flair ups are frequently after resting my feet after a strenuous day. I can make it just fine through a day of physical activity, but if I get off of my feet for a half hour, I cannot put pressure on them at all. It can be even worse first thing the following morning.

I have seen some of the best orthopedists in the country (NEOS among others) and always get the same answer... nothing. It seems that I am not a candidate for surgery in any form, and I have tried orthotics and inserts a few times, but they seem to make the pain much worse.

I am glad I found this forum, and am curious if any of you have found other online support groups for us with issues that stemmed from being born with clubbed feet.

I am in the San Francisco bay area if any of you are nearby, and would like to communicate at all. My email address is berkeleynative at gmail (edited to avoid bot scans) dot com.

I would like to find ways of pain management, and perhaps any doctors in my area who are familiar with this condition. I went to an orthopedist who specializes in foot and ankles, who I had seen in 1974 and he is still practicing. His advice: NOTHING. He said that there was nothing that could be done to alleviate my discomfort. When I asked about pain management, I was treated like someone looking for pills, even though he had just looked at the xrays he just took and was concerned about the bone structure, and commented on the very limited mobility in both feet.

I am sorry to rant a bit, but I am in another of my 5 year points where I reach out for options. Mostly I get nowhere, and stop looking, and learn to just deal with it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 1st September 2009, 08:41 AM
Taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Thank you everyone for your stories and ideas. Seems that there is a little bit of a trend here in regards to the "years after". Club foot surgery is wonderful and allows a child with club foot the chance at a normal walk, but it seems that the long term affects need to be looked at earlier in life rather than later. Maybe an additional appointment at age 8ish to test the tendons that were surgically altered. Maybe an intervention at this time can be remedied with physical therapy rather than the possibility of additional surgeries.

Update on my daughter. So, she ended up having 3 stress fractures in her foot, which required wearing a boot to allow them to heal. She was out of the boot in time to play in the state soccer tournament, she was so excited! (We placed 4th out of 4, but, we were the only PUBLIC school in the tourny, other three schools were private schools and can "recruit" their team.)

Anyway, NOW, she is having other issues. She is having pain in the bottom of her foot and and across the top of her ankle. I've taken her back to Children's and it seems that her achillies tendon and the tendon along the bottom of her foot, both which were lengthened during surgery, are no longer growing with her or stretching enough. So, basically, the tendons are short and affecting the "flexibility" of her foot. She cannot take a "regular" step, it comes up short because she reaches the end of the stretch. It's to the point that if she tries to force the full step, her first two toes start to curl under.

This is also causing issues in her knee and lower back. Unfortunatley, the physician we saw at Children's was not a surgeon, but we have been reffered to one. She see's him on the 21st of this month. If anyone would like to discuss this individually, you can contact me at peace_frogs at comcast dot net.

I appologize for the delay in the update
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 1st September 2009, 08:50 AM
Taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I am currently having the same problem. I had my clubfoot surgery when I was 3. I have played many sports throughout childhood, high school, and college. I was pain free until I was 14 years old. That pain was mild and I suffered though it. I am now at age 21 experiencing much more moderate pain and limp regularly. I have pain after walking and running. Did you find any solution to your daughter's pain? If so, plmk. Thanks!
Thanks for the post. You would think that at the age of 14, you shouldn't have any pain and that there MUST be a reason behind it. I believe the pain to be an alarm of an underlying issue, like a smoke alarm, the alarm's not the issue, it's the fire! This is why I am so persistant in finding solutions to these issues for my daughter. I want her to be active and do the things she wants to do and not have to think about if it will "hurt". I will attempt to post in a more timely fashion. You may reach me at peace_frogs at comcast dot net if you wish
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 1st September 2009, 08:58 AM
Taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmom View Post
Footdoc, I've read all of your posts on the clubfoot subject, and I appreciate the fact that you are trying to steer people to qualified professionals for medical opinions, but I think this forum is a great place that people can find out about different alternatives. It would really help me to understand what some other mom's of kids with clubfoot have gone through and where they have found answers, and it seems as though you are discouraging the sharing of this info. I think that's what the one writer you called sarcastic meant. Your info isn't really that helpful...we all know that we should talk with our doctors. I am not a qualified professional, but I want to share my experience and see if I can elicit information from others.

My son was born with clubfoot. We started the weekly stretching and casting when he was 1 week old. That didn't work, so, when he was 4 months old, we had the surgery where the Achilles tendon was cut--2 surgeries a week apart--one for each foot. They cast him and put pins in. Another surgery was done when he was 8 months old to remove the pins.

This has worked relatively well. My son developed normally and has been able to lead a fairly normal, athletic life. He is 13 now, and has suffered with on-and-off foot pain for the last few years. He has slowly stopped most of the athletics that he has participated in because of the pain, but he still seems to do the normal 13-year-old boy things. His doctor has told us that there's not a lot that he can do for the pain. He suggested wearing inserts, and they do not help my son.

My son walks with a limp most of the time. His feet look deformed (although they look much less deformed than they did at birth). He complains of pain more and more. I would like to know if any of you have found ways to help the pain. Are there more advanced orthotics than inserts that have helped? What did the doctor in Seattle say about the pain? Does physical therapy help, and what type of doctor gives the physical therapy? Does it help to see a podiatrist? I am very interested in any ways that you have helped your kids reduce, eliminate, or work through the pain.
My daugter was also given the insert to wear in her shoe but that actually made things worse, well with this last issue anyway. I've been told that stress fractures are hard to see on xrays until they start to heal, but the one physician that told her she needed to tie her shoe tighter, didn't bother to even take an xray.

Unfortunately, I've not found a solution to take all the pain away, yet. I'm working on it and when I don't get the answer I want, I go to another doctor. She would still have stress fractures if I wasn't determined. There has to be a reason for the pain. 14 year olds don't have pain "just because" and with the club foot issue, it's an easy out for someone who doesn't want to really listen. Not thats what all doctors do, but sometime's I just don't think they take teenagers seriously enough to actually listen to them. If you would like to keep in touch with what we can find out in a more timely fashion because I dropped the ball on responding on here, you can get a hold of me: peace_frogs at comcast dot net
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 1st September 2009, 09:14 AM
Taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootDoc View Post
DISCLAIMER:
THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
************************************************** *********
As with most deformities, the nature of the type correction required for a club foot is totally dependent upon the degree of deformity. Also, I would suggest that not everyone who assumes he/she has had a club foot actually had one which meet the strict definition of same. Reading your post, I am not at all certain that the toe problems which you describe are necessarily the result of a club foot or its treatment many years ago. I would suggest that anyone who has to walk on the side of the foot and is unable to bear weight in a normal manner probably should not be subjecting herself to the stresses of athletics unless she is willing to accept secondary damage which may be recalcitrant to treatment. I think that you would be wise to receive your information from the Children's Orthopedic clinic to which you will be taking your daughter rather than from either lay persons who might respond to your post or even a doctor who treats such problems and who would be demonstrating irresponsibility by opining without benefit of actual knowledge of the case obtained through professional examination.

See, the thing is, had I read this information before taking my daughter to the first 3 doctors and the ER, I would have asked if there was a possibility of a stress fracture, in turn, they may have taken an xray and the treatment for my daughter could have started MONTHS earlier than they did and she could have played the entire soccer season last year instead of having to sit it out.

Now, someone reading this information, may say "hey, I wonder..." and ASK their physician if this could be a possibility. An educated patient can actually HELP their physician rather than just go in and say.... " my foot hurts." How about " my foot hurts, do you think it could be a stress fracture?" It gives the physician some place to start.

Physicians can sometime's miss the most obvious issue because they are "looking to hard, or not hard enough"

I did this for my daughter and myself. I wanted to know if there were other sufferers of the same issues that started with the same condition as my daughter. I do not deem this forum as god, I use it for information only as I'm sure do the other's who have posted on here.

I seek out medical advise from physicians I take my children to, not from forums on the internet. Sometime's, if I don't like the advise I receive from a physician I seek out another physician...it took 4 physicians to determine she had stress fractures to begin with...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 1st September 2009, 09:21 AM
Taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

My daughter had club feet when she was born. She had casts put on at a week old. At 4 months she had surgery. At about 9 months she finally got to take off her casts for good. She turned 12 this year. She as also been active in sports since she was little. About a year ago, her feet (left foot especially) started to "turn out". I don't really know how to explain....but if you were laying on your bed and you looked at your feet and they looked like a letter "V" that is how her feet now look when she is standing up. So her feet form a "V instead of "l l". Anyway...it just seems to be getting more "V" looking all the time. I had X-rays done this week and the Dr. said that her middle bones were off to the side. He said that all the bones were there (only one of her feet bones were bigger that it should have been) but he referred me to a specialist. I am going to call and make an appointment this week.
How did the appointment go? You can reach me at peace_frogs at comcast dot net
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 1st September 2009, 09:35 AM
Taniejay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a 32 year old male, born with two severe club feet. I underwent several surgeries as a child and have always been involved in sports. Now days I spend a great deal of time hiking. If I spend one day hiking I'll be in great pain for the next day. You learn to live with it. I completed a police academy at age 25, 5-7 miles of running a day. The most impotant factor is my weight; the less weight the less pain. High dollar shoe inserts did little for me however a boot with good ankle support is critical.
I'm happy that you have found something that works for you, so far, we have been unsuccessful in finding the same for my daughter for this new issue.

I do have a question though, do you think that teenagers should have to "deal" with the pain? I believe the pain is there due to an underlying issue and that issue needs to be found. I'm a very stubborn person, especially when it comes to my kids

Good wishes to you and yours

TJ's mom
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10th September 2009, 04:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I myself had surgery on both feet when I was a baby. I am out on this forum trying to find answers of my own as to why I have increased pain in my feet for about the last 4 years (I am now 34 years old). I certainly did not think I had anything to add to this, but I think I do - stretch, stretch, stretch. I find my pain is little to none on days that I spend a significant amount of time stretching. When I go even a day without any stretching, I immediately notice.

However, I am still on the hunt for things I can do to improve my pain levels. I plan on speaking with a professional, but in the meantime, keep the suggestions coming.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10th September 2009, 04:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

My daughter had club feet when she was born. She had casts put on at a week old. At 4 months she had surgery. At about 9 months she finally got to take off her casts for good. She turned 12 this year. She as also been active in sports since she was little. About a year ago, her feet (left foot especially) started to "turn out". I don't really know how to explain....but if you were laying on your bed and you looked at your feet and they looked like a letter "V" that is how her feet now look when she is standing up. So her feet form a "V instead of "l l". Anyway...it just seems to be getting more "V" looking all the time. I had X-rays done this week and the Dr. said that her middle bones were off to the side. He said that all the bones were there (only one of her feet bones were bigger that it should have been) but he referred me to a specialist. I am going to call and make an appointment this week.

Have you read that club foot can actually come back and subsequent surgeries may be required? I am 34 and had club feet when I was born. Having some serious pain the last several years and found this forum. Anyway, I am sad to say that surgery may be in the cards for her again some day.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 13th September 2009, 06:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

I just found this forum as I was looking for some info to help decide if we should have our 14 yr old son go through a procedure to equalize his leg length due to his clubfoot leg being 2 cm (almost 1 inch) shorter. If anyone has had this procedure done or knows about it - please post.
I also have to say there is an amazing Club Foot Clinic at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster, BC (suburb of Vancouver). My son has been treated since birth at this clinic & followed up every 2 years or so. This Dr. has a whole team of professionals working with him (xray tech, physiotherapist, UBC Med students, orthotist, etc). He himself is a Paediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. Kids from all over B.C. & Yukon are sent to this particular Dr. for treatment. We have been very happy with the treatment our son has received so far. He had castings from birth up until surgery at 6 mos. old. He then had a pin through his foot for 6 weeks & brace until about 14 mos. Since then he has had no procedures, only check ups every 2 yrs as things have been fine. Our son is an elite hockey player (if you can call them elite at this age?) - he plays competitive Rep hockey, and along with that goes all of the dryland training, hockey camps, etc. He has been skating since the age of 3 and started hockey at 5 yrs old. My point is that kids with club feet can be athletes. - and who knows maybe he has been relatively problem free because of the sports he has been involved in all of his life. This leg length procedure though is a new one for us. The Dr. says there is a "window" of opportunity to do this at his age. I know it involves interfering with the growth plates on his normal leg. I must qualify my dilemma with this - I was born with a club foot as well. I'm 44 and had surgery at 1 month old in Europe, and a 2nd procedure at 4 yrs old in Canada. I also have a leg length difference but have suffered no pain or other issues. This is where my problem comes in deciding what to do for our son. This procedure is something that was not offered to me 30 yrs ago - and I know 2 cm can be significant especially for someone so involved in sport.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 16th September 2009, 05:40 AM
Christine not a member
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Foot problems 13 years after club foot surgery

Im 38 years old and I was born with a severe club foot, my corrective surgery was done at 6 months. At the age of 12 I got tendonitis in my achilles tendon and that made me walk with my toes curled and on the outside of my foot. At the age of 20 I was diognosed with sciatica and that was caused due to the difference in the length of my legs, yes there was a window of time in which the orthepedic surgeon could have corrected the difference, but we missed it and I really wished we wouldnt have. The pain sciatica causes is horrible and messing with my growth plates would have been absolutely fine with me. At this point my only options offered so far for surgical correction are taking length from my normal leg, thats the only corrective one that I was made aware of, and another surgery offered to me was back sugery to straighten my spine (straightening rod) so that I would no longer have sciatica (not going to happen). So what ive done on my own is, I see a chiropractor, physical therapist, and I go to pain therapy, this teaches me how to deal with severe back pain. I also keep my weight down (too much weight causes problems all around), exorcise, and stretch.
Now for the past 5 years I have also been experiencing foot pain, its a very intense continual sharp pain that radiates from my outer ankle to my calf and sometimes it switches to a very intense kind of muscle spazmey pain from both ankles to my toes. Not a pain im used to, and it has been very upsetting. Im deffinatly releived to find out im not alone, the mind tends to think thoughts like 'is my sugery failing after 38 years' and so on. So as you can see, I have no insite on the foot pain situation, just empathy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
clubfoot

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Children's foot problems Admin Video Clips 4 17th October 2014 07:29 PM
Club Foot Unregistered Ask your questions here 8 26th January 2014 07:00 AM
Club Foot Reconstructive Surgery Unregistered Ask your questions here 5 5th June 2012 02:09 AM
Fibromyalgia/CP, foot/toe problems SallyB Ask your questions here 10 3rd November 2011 03:00 PM
Foot orthotics for hip problems Admin Podiatry Arena 0 13th June 2008 11:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content is copyright to the Foot Pain & Foot Health Forum.