1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Spiral Fracture 5th Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi. I just got into a car accident 2 days ago and I pushed the brake pedal so hard I fractured the 5th Metatarsal on my right foot. The emergency room doctor put it in a boot and gave me crutches and told me to see the orthopedic surgeon Monday. I do not have health insurance so my question is, is it really neccasary to go see the surgeon? The ER doctor said the OP surgeon may or may not put it in a cast but that unless it is offset that is pretty much it. Is this something that can heal fine with the boot? And is there a "typical" heal time for this kind of fracture? Also, I take my boot off right much because it hurts less to just prop it on a pillow. Is this a bad thing? I am 32 years old and have never broken a bone, so I apologize for my ignorance on this subject. I know you can't diagnose or "treat" but your opinion would be appreciated. Thanks. :)