1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Kidner vs. Hypocure

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by hurkskids, May 8, 2013.

1. hurkskids

hurkskids Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    my daughter is 12. She has flat feet, and an extra navicular bone. She has a huge protrusion on the inside of each foot at the ankle. She has tried orthotics without success and different types of shoes. Her activity is quite limited and her feet ache at the end of each day.

We have been to see a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon who has suggested the Kidner surgery and a podiatrist who suggests the hypcure treatment. I am leaning towards the hypocure because I've read some crazy recovery stories of the Kidner surgery. But the cost of the hypocure option is $7000 in my city and I wasn't really happy with the Dr.'s attitude and bedside manner.

Can anyone give me some additional info?
    Erin

2. Dr Abdul Qadir

Dr Abdul Qadir New Member

Hyprocure is in fact Sinus tarsi implant insertion in the foot and is not appropriate for most children with mobile flatfoot. The procedure may be used in selected children with persistent mobile flatfoot due to neuromuscular disorder, skeletal dysplasia or systemic ligamentous laxity, whose treatment is supervised by a multidisciplinary team. The procedure may be indicated rarely in patients where orthotics and physiotherapy has failed.
    The procedure (also known as subtalar arthroereisis) can be performed with the patient under general or local anaesthesia. Exact technique and instrumentation vary. The sinus tarsi (between the calcaneum and the talus) is accessed by a lateral incision. A trial implant may be used, with intraoperative imaging and simulated weight bearing, to direct appropriate placement and degree of correction before a sized implant is inserted. Adjunctive bone or soft tissue procedures may also be carried out. Compression dressing or plaster cast (particularly with adjunctive procedures) and modified footwear and/or orthotics may be used postoperatively. The implant may need to be removed, particularly in children; exact timing for this varies.
    In a case series study of 54 patients (68 feet), 59% (22/37) reported pain before and 5% (2/37) after the procedure (mean follow-up 26.5 months). In a case series of 23 patients (28 feet), the mean pain score decreased from 3.2 preoperatively to 1.6 postoperatively on a scale from 4 (severe pain) to 1 (no pain) (p < 0.0001) (mean follow-up 44 months).

3. hurkskids

hurkskids Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    My daughter has tried physio, massage therapy, chiro, sports taping, orthotics and has very lax ligaments in all her joints.

It seems like the stats below suggest a huge amount of pain reduction after the procedure. The Kidner option seems to have a much higher rate of complication. In Canada where we live, the cost of the kidner treatment is free under our health coverage. The implant is $7000 and is not covered.

Can I ask a follow up question based on your reply - why would the implant need to be removed in a child?