1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

PTTD following trauma

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Two years ago, I suffered from a tibial plateau fracture and a fibula fracture after falling of a table while putting up wall decorations. At the time of the accident, I did not notice a) that I had also hit my head, b) that my ankle hurt.

Within three days of the accident, my ankle hurt as much as and sometimes more than the knee and upper leg did. I told the doctors about this, but they said that it was likely from the trauma my leg had suffered. My ankle was never imaged at all. One week later, I had surgery on my knee. After surgery, I noticed that my leg was crooked (what was much later diagnosed as a valgus deformity) starting right at the knee joint. I told the doctors that my leg appeared crooked to me repeatedly, but they didn't think so.

I told my physical therapist about the ankle pain, and that my ankle pain was making it much harder to do the exercises than the knee. He noticed the pronation of my foot, but did not say that I had PTTD - he noted the valgus deformity and said that the pronation was due to the angle of my leg. He said that the pain would go away as I exercised more. It did not. It only got worse. Stiffness and pain on awakening each day and putting weight on it was severe.

I was graduated from physical therapy as my knee had made the progress that was needed for my initial reasons for needing therapy. I gave the orthopaedic surgeons my report from the physio and they still said my leg was perfectly straight.

I was sent to an exiting physician for my L&I claim. I told him about all of my concerns. He examined me and found that my leg had a 6 degree valgus deformity. He referred me to a podiatrist for the ankle pain, and recommended my L&I case be closed - that nothing more could be done for me. By the time I got the podiatrist appointment (almost a year after my initial ankle pain and injury, my L&I case was closed. The podiatrist diagnosed me with PTTD from having been immobilized for so long after my initial injury (no imaging was done). He did not tell me what stage I was in - I do appear to be flatfooted on that foot when weight bearing. He said I should get physical therapy and I would be fine. No advice or script for a boot or brace or heel support. He referred me for physical therapy, but I didn't realize that this problem was serious as the doctor hadn't told me that it was very important that I start PT immediately - and I don't have health insurance. So, I put it off. It is now 9 months later, and my medial ankle is in constant pain. I still do not have insurance, but what I am wondering is if there are specific exercises that could be done without going to a physical therapist or back to a podiatrist.

And, what is the likely prognosis for PTTD. I can raise up on that heel - but only with a great deal of pain - especially when moving back down.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. I am a little scared at this point. Thanks

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

This is far too involved and requires acceptance of too many diverse assertions for a reasonable and meaningful response to be offered.